Attaching Stove Pipe to Stove

Dark Jedi

Post by Dark Jedi » Wed. Oct. 08, 2008 4:23 pm

Ok, here goes my next big install question. Background: We are replacing an old Franklin fireplace with a stoker that has the pipe connection in the rear on the bottom. The piece where I connect the stove pipe to the stove is cast iron, like the stove itself. I plan to put the barometric damper there, than probably a short pipe section followed by an elbow, vertical pipe (about 4 feet), another elbow and out to the chimney. How do I attach the part at the stove? It slides on there easily enough, which is what has me worried - with my set up I think there will be some pressure there, although I realize the top part will also do some of the holding up. It doesn't seem like the old sheet metal screws will do much with the cast iron. What do I use to hold that part in place?

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Wed. Oct. 08, 2008 5:16 pm

If you can drill some small hole thru the adapter piece into the pipe, put some sheet metal screws in it, and maybe some hi-temp silicone around the seam. it would seal it up fine. OR, get an adapter Larger than the opening and put it on on the outside of the sleeve and screw it or put a big band clamp on it....

The stove should be under slight vacuum, so you shouldn't get any gases escaping.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Oct. 08, 2008 5:17 pm

I wouldn't put the baro too (hey all you English majors, is this the proper use of the word too? :) ) close to the appliance, I like it up near the thimble.

You will need 3 screws in every connection of stovepipe even at the cast exhaust collar. Does the stovepipe fit snug with no real gaps?

coldwind

Post by coldwind » Wed. Oct. 08, 2008 5:46 pm

yes, too :D And yes nearer, (er, closer) to thimble. Not first section at least.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Wed. Oct. 08, 2008 6:57 pm

The baro shouldn;'t be any closer than 12-18" from stove. Check http://www.fieldcontrols.com website for installation of the RC baro damper.

Dark Jedi

Post by Dark Jedi » Wed. Oct. 08, 2008 7:42 pm

Thanks for the input. Yes, it does fit snugly on the fitting on the stove, I just worry that whatever is there will be under the stress of supporting the rest of the pipe assembly. The collar idea (similar to the principles of a hose clamp) did cross my mind, but I don't know if they really make something like that.

As for location of the baro, I was following the directions of the dealer who said it should go as close to the stove as possible. I also looked at my neighbor's (his pipe comes out the top and his is a different brand, different dealer) and his baro is the first piece off the stove. If mine came off the top I wouldn't be as concerned. Going to check out your suggested site now WNY.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”