Fan Control From Heat Collector

sharkman8810
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 82 ul
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by sharkman8810 » Thu. Oct. 02, 2008 8:37 pm

I did the following install. A heat collector around a hitzer 82 U.L. stove, and then ran the pipe to a vent in my kitchen to start heating the living area. I am looking to figure out how to control the 8" 500 cfm fan for the best results upstairs. A few ideas I have are, use a switch on the stove that when the stove hits 110 F the fan starts ( I found this at stovepartsplus), another is what lowes has is basically a thermometer and when the room gets so warm, the fan turns on. A third is my dad said he can wire a thermostat to the fan, and use that as an on/off switch. Which method is best?

Yes, I am going to have a very warm kitchen, but I plan on using the forced air furnace fan feature to move the air around the house after I get it out of the basement. I also havent ruled out running more ducts as necessary. The floor plan for the 1 floor is a "U" shaped open floor plan with the stairs in the middle of the "U". The second story is the stairs open to a small hallway that all the bedrooms open into. I am not to concerned about the 2nd story as they can be cooler and if it gets too cold and the fan circulation isnt working, i'll just run the forced hot air a little. Generally the house is well insulated. I probably have more stove than needed, but I haven't ran it to find out for sure. I did hack into a cold air return to help supply air into the basement for the coal stove to use, that is a 6" fan with a 250 cfm fan from lowes.

Any other comments are welcome to help this stove heat the house efficiently.

Attachments

P1020264 - Copy.JPG
.JPG | 160KB | P1020264 - Copy.JPG

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Fri. Oct. 03, 2008 8:44 am

A third is my dad said he can wire a thermostat to the fan, and use that as an on/off switch.
Would this still control the fan by turning it on once it reaches a certain temperature? I would think having a way for the fan to turn on automatically once your desired temperature has been reached would be the best way since you wouldn't have to be on top of it all day long.

Dallas
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Modified Russo C-35
Other Heating: Oil Hot Air

Post by Dallas » Fri. Oct. 03, 2008 9:18 am

Placed at the stove in the heat collector.
Last edited by Dallas on Sat. Apr. 01, 2017 12:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: <removed dead link>

sharkman8810
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 82 ul
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by sharkman8810 » Sat. Oct. 04, 2008 9:23 pm

Thanks I think something like that will work good. When there is heat, it will put it upstairs.

Dallas
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Modified Russo C-35
Other Heating: Oil Hot Air

Post by Dallas » Sat. Oct. 04, 2008 9:28 pm

I used the adjustable disc thermostat. When the cavity gets up to temp, the fan starts. If the temp drops, the fan shuts off, rather than blowing cold air. It is very simple and effective. There is two of them pictured, but I don't see the difference. Ahhh .. it's the temperature range.
http://www.grainger.com/product/2FBT4

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”