Multi Speed Fan Control

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Thu. Oct. 02, 2008 8:07 pm

Does anyone make a fan switch that would increase a fan motor(multi speed motor) as the bonnet temp goes up? Maybe like 85* low, 95* med, 105* high.Adjustable temps would be great.
DON

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Thu. Oct. 02, 2008 8:38 pm

Yeah it's called a Coal-Trol, made by the fine folks at Automation Correct. :)

I'm not aware of any staged thermal disks to increment your fan speed to coincide with stove temp. One thing you can do though is install a 180* snap disk on the side of the stove (wired in series with the fan circuit) to shut the fan off unless the stove temp is 180*.

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Thu. Oct. 02, 2008 9:38 pm

This is for a hot air furnace.some of the new HAF's have a controller that will ramp up the fan speed but I would like to have 2 or 3 speeds for the fan.My furnace has 2 small fans(550 CFM) and I'm going to change it to the old style squirrel cage and belt drive with a 2 or 3 speed motor.I might just do it with manual switches.Or maybe with a shaded pole motor and a variable switch.I would really like it to switch to higher speeds when the furnace gets hotter automaticly.I think you can do this with shaded poll motors or PSC motors.I don't know that much about this type of thing so that's why I'm asking.
DON

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Thu. Oct. 02, 2008 9:48 pm

Will the distibution fan circuit of a Coal-Trol handle 5.2 amps(more on start up) and does it ramp up the fan speed or have stepped settings?
DON

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Thu. Oct. 02, 2008 10:50 pm

Ahhhh, now I understand, should have looked at your profile to see what you were burning! :roll:

The Coaltrol will not handle a furnace fan in it's current design. So you are out of luck for that solution with your 5.2 amp blower motor. Also my suggestion for not running the fan below a certain temp should be handled by a fan limit switch with sensor stuck into the plenum. Maybe you could find a used three speed fan on ebay and modify the control to do what you want it to.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but with a little research I think you could probably come up with something that can automatically modulate fan speed based on plenum temp, at least in three steps.

Bpashocker

Post by Bpashocker » Sat. Oct. 04, 2008 11:33 am

I'm trying to do the same thing with my coal stove. Did you have any luck finding a multi speed switch? The fan limit switches I have been seeing can only be wired up for one speed. I was planing to go to my local plumbers supply to see what they offer.
Good Luck :D
Barry

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Sat. Oct. 04, 2008 12:24 pm

No not with the fan and limit switch.BUT grainger has direct drive blowers cheap(200 bucks for a 4 speed) and a manual 4 speed switch is about 10 bucks.I may go that route.Grainger has a 1/3 hp DD blower for 52.00 also but the 4 speed seems to float my boat better. :D
DON

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”