Suggestions for Wall Barrier?

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Wed. Sep. 24, 2008 7:59 am

I'm going to put a wall barrier between the stove and stove pipe against my interior wood studded sheet rock covered outside wall were the stove will be.
Last stove install I did I used BlueBoard and covered it with veneer brick and spaced it out 1 1/2 in. with the bottom and top open. I am going to put this one in the celler now so I don't care if it's pretty. Just cost effictive. What's out there now to buy or use? I need 1 piece 4x4 and 1 4x8 to give me the proper clearances.

Someone said cement board? I'd be happy with just Blue Board but don't know if the paper is really fireproof.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Wed. Sep. 24, 2008 2:26 pm

back or sides? Most stoves have closer clearances on the back (depending), I have mine right against the wall on the back with at least 24" on both sides. But I am running a double wall vent up and out with only about 6" of clearance for the pipe from the wall, but it's a Direct Vent. The pipe doesn't get that hot.

Concrete Board is a good choice, A piece of sheet metal, anything non-combustible. Not sure about the green/blue board stuff, unless you cover it with something..Jsut keep an air gap of like 1" against the wall so it can keep things cool.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Wed. Sep. 24, 2008 4:34 pm

The cheapest easiest way I've done is sheet metal... galvanized steel or aluminum, which ever you can find. Cut one inch pieces of copper pipe and use them as spacers. Put a screw though the metel, through the spacer & into the studs. Space an inch from the floor & you're set!

elvinpw

Post by elvinpw » Thu. Sep. 25, 2008 8:56 pm

This sounds like a GREAT idea! But is this code? I would suspect the heat transfer would go through the steel screw into the wood and also transfer into the copper pipe. But this would sure solve my problem. My Harman stove vendor tells me that a heat shield reduces the required clearences by half. That is 33", of required clearance is reduced to 16.5" with a heat shield. Does this sound correct?

Thanks.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Thu. Sep. 25, 2008 9:26 pm

Yes, a properly installed heat shield should reduce your required clearance by half.

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Thu. Sep. 25, 2008 11:00 pm

Of the states that have their building codes available on line MA is one of the most detailed. See:

http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/dps/BuildingCode/7 ... 036P10.pdf

for the regulations for solid fuel appliances. On the last page of this section (Pg 611 overall) they describe the requirements for used solid fuel burning stoves.

The technical requirement for floor combustion protection is, four inches of material that has a thermal conductivity less than: k = 0.84 (Btu) (inch) / (foot2) (hour) (°F). I would assume the same standard would apply to other surfaces.

Just get your friendly building inspector to do the calculation for you on your design. Yea, lots of luck. :-)

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Fri. Sep. 26, 2008 6:48 am

Your suppose to put the spacers on the outer edges only. I saw Fire Retartant Sheet Rock at Home Depot. It might be easier for me to go that way. I didn't like the cement board there.

ntp71
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Reading Foundry Water Heater
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Old Mill Mini Stoker with Keystoker Feed System
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibraltar SCR
Baseburners & Antiques: Caloric UltraMatic Coal-Gas Range
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut

Post by ntp71 » Fri. Sep. 26, 2008 8:29 am

This may help.
**Broken Link(s) Removed**Neal

Patrick

Post by Patrick » Sat. Sep. 27, 2008 10:53 am

My two cents and probably worth that much. My stove dealer said that a 1" air space heat shield (min 24 ga. I believe) allows the clearance to be reduce by 2/3. So, the Harman at 33'' to the sides is reduced to 11". However, the NFPA that I was able to find had a table that stated 2/3 but no less than 12". So I went with that. In fact, my distance is about 13".
Here's a link to the type of table I used to figure minimum clearances.. By the way, in the house with the Harman I used 12 ga steel. I wanted it rugged and attractive. It's painted with satin black high heat paint and lagged to the walls with spacers.
http://www.town.falmouth.me.us/Pages/FalmouthME_F ... inspection

Back to the question.. Out in my shop I installed a barrel stove that I made. The stove is on cement board and up on blocks and then I hung cement board on the walls with spacers. The cement board is vented top, bottom and sides.
I hope this helps and of course take with a grain of salt as I could be all wrong on it.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”