Chimney Cleaning

Dott727

Post by Dott727 » Sun. Sep. 21, 2008 1:25 pm

How often should you clean a masonry chimney? Is this something that needs done every year?

Dwayne

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Sep. 21, 2008 1:50 pm

If you are burning nothing but anthracite coal, you really don't need to clean the vertical portion of the chimney.. the fly ash will only adhere to the chimney liner 'til it is about 1/8" thick then it will fall down the chimney into the cleanout area. How often to empty the cleanout and clean the horizontal sections of flue pipe depends on how much coal you burn.. lots of coal maybe every three weeks to a month, little coal maybe twice a season.

Greg L

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Mon. Sep. 22, 2008 8:48 am

Really the only thing you would need to do is open the bottom and let the ash fall out to clean a ss chimney? No need to ever clean out the rest of it? That sounds a little to easy.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Mon. Sep. 22, 2008 8:52 am

Adamiscold wrote:Really the only thing you would need to do is open the bottom and let the ash fall out to clean a ss chimney? No need to ever clean out the rest of it? That sounds a little to easy.
Like Greg said, you won't need to ever clean it if you're just burning anthracite. My chimney is now 27 years old & I've never cleaned it & it's clean as a whistle inside! (Wood fires will line the chimney with creosote but coal doesn't)

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Mon. Sep. 22, 2008 8:55 am

Damn devil :wtf: I was so looking forward to sending the wife up on the roof to clean it too :yearight:

That is good to know, less work and things to worry about.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Mon. Sep. 22, 2008 9:12 am

Here's a thought that someone probably can answer here:

Does burning pellets create creosote in your chimney? (I would guess yes)

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Mon. Sep. 22, 2008 9:29 am

I would have to say no because it would seem to be an unsafe setup having a side mounted chimney collecting creosote. I think the only ones I've seen have been the dv ones that go straight out the back of the house and not up.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Mon. Sep. 22, 2008 9:35 am

I'm talking about the majority of pellet stoves that vent through a normal chimney.

SteelerCoal

Post by SteelerCoal » Mon. Sep. 22, 2008 9:53 am

Adamiscold wrote:Really the only thing you would need to do is open the bottom and let the ash fall out to clean a ss chimney? No need to ever clean out the rest of it? That sounds a little to easy.
Adam-

It's my understanding that a SS Chimney does need to be cleaned every year. The acids produced while burning coal will eat into the SS pipe over time. I believe they recommend cleaing it out, using something to neutralize the acid (baking soda and water?) and coating it with a thin coat of oil shortly after the last burn of the season.

Someone else can probably weigh in more on this, but that's what I gather from reading other posts.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Sep. 22, 2008 10:43 am

Devil505 wrote:Here's a thought that someone probably can answer here:

Does burning pellets create creosote in your chimney? (I would guess yes)
They do produce creosote but it is a tiny fraction of the amount compared to a true wood burner, probably not a big deal.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”