Venting AHS 130

togin

Post by togin » Wed. Sep. 17, 2008 7:52 am

Hi Everyone

I have a question on venting my new AHS 130. I have an existing propane boiler that I wish to keep as a back up unit. Is it possible to have two appliances on one chimney flue. I have researched this forum, but have not found an application for propane boiler just oil boilers. My coal supplier says no, that it is too dangerous, chance of explosion. Got me real nervous. Plumber says its okay. Really do not want to take any chances, just not worth it. Anyone out there with any experience on this.

Thanks

Tony

PS should have my ahs completed by end of week can't wait.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Wed. Sep. 17, 2008 8:33 am

Your plumber is wrong.

rychw
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by rychw » Wed. Sep. 17, 2008 10:38 am

Coalkirk is correct. You need to research the local code in your area but I would not have both using the same chimney. If you will be using the gas as an emergency backup then you can simply remove the stovepipe for the coal boiler and attach the pipe for the gas boiler. My experience with the AHS is that you will never ever fire up the gas boiler in your lifetime. I wish I just removed my oil boiler when I bought the AHS instead of plumbing both in series.

coalkirk

Post by coalkirk » Wed. Sep. 17, 2008 11:27 pm

It's nice to have the other boiler available incase you go away in winter, but other than that, you won't need it. I would remove the gas boiler vent pipe and disable the boiler so it can't fire. I assume you have a masonry chimney?

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Thu. Sep. 18, 2008 5:28 am

togin wrote:My coal supplier says no, that it is too dangerous, chance of explosion.
It may be, but I'd like to have it explained to me. I know nothing about natural gas. The law does say no two things in one chimney, but for the life of me, other than a wood stove and something else, and as long as they both don't fire at the same time, I don't know why it wouldn't be safe. It might not be as efficient, but I'd like to understand why it's dangerous. Burning wood and having another appliance in the same flu allows uncontrolled air into the chimney if there's a chimney fire. With anything other than wood you will not creosote and will not have a chimney fire, so where's the danger?

I'd make it so it's a 10 minute project to switch from one to the other. Swap pipes, flip a few switches, go on vacation.

coalkirk

Post by coalkirk » Thu. Sep. 18, 2008 7:06 am

Freddy wrote:I'd make it so it's a 10 minute project to switch from one to the other. Swap pipes, flip a few switches, go on vacation.
That's what I would do.

togin

Post by togin » Thu. Sep. 18, 2008 8:22 am

Thanks for the input,

yea I have a masonry chimney with masonry flue., I am going to do what the consensus on this forum recommends.

When I go on vacation remove coal vent pipe and hook up the propane boiler vent pipe. I don't understand either, however I believe to err on the side of caution.

Well I get the final hook ups tomorrow, got 6.5 tons of pea coal delivered this past Tuesday, in bulk at 239.00 ton.

Called my propane supplier and canceled :P

Again thanks

Tony

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”