How Did You Get Your Coal Stove Into Your House???

DJWFire

Post by DJWFire » Fri. Nov. 07, 2008 5:09 pm

ken wrote:Why not just tooth out the wall and reblock it? That boiler should last forever.
It's a poured foundation and as a bonus, I can back my trailer right up to the basement to bring the coal in. Sure beats the hell out of going up and down a set of stairs 1000 times. :D

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Fri. Nov. 07, 2008 5:40 pm

Now you need a conveyor belt.

Dann757

Post by Dann757 » Sat. Nov. 08, 2008 4:13 am

I found my Gold Marc Monticello on the side of the road, a road called Mountain Ave. I had a 85 ranger at the time and backed it up the hill and onto the shoulder as close as possible. I developed instant super human strength I wanted it so bad. I pulled my tailgate off and was able to lean the stove against the bed and get under it and lever it up real quick. I backed up to my back porch and managed to get it pushed off onto the porch. It sat there for a couple years before I pressed it into wood burning service. It's about 2x2x41". Not terribly heavy.

StanT

Post by StanT » Wed. Nov. 26, 2008 8:32 am

We made a sandwich with ours, was ez but heavy, Took 2 2 by 6 by 8ft, 1/2 inch allthread, put the vf3000 in the center and screwed the 2 by 6's together, each of us had a handle to hold, It was heavy but it was good, even went down the steps ez, We moved it about 70 feet to the basement and it was in place in 20 minutes.

Hope this helps someone, Stan

AdkCoal

Post by AdkCoal » Fri. Jan. 09, 2009 11:19 pm

I have a structure attached to the back of my split level house. One third of the structure is the finished boiler room and the other two thirds is for fuel storage and both areas have concrete floors. I have a set of double doors between the two areas. My son and 2 of his friends and myself simply lifted the KAA-2 off the pickup and carried it into the boiler room and set it in place. I guess when my dad built this house and added this alternate heating structure many years ago, he knew what he was doing.

Pete69

Post by Pete69 » Sat. Jan. 10, 2009 6:04 am

Getting 570# of stove in the house, that was easy. I just dropped a couple nuts on the ground and rolled the stove right over the top of them and into the house.

gambler

Post by gambler » Sat. Jan. 10, 2009 6:13 am

Pete69 wrote:Getting 570# of stove in the house, that was easy. I just dropped a couple nuts on the ground and rolled the stove right over the top of them and into the house.
I just hope they weren't your nuts! or is that what you meant with some sarcastic humor?

Pete69

Post by Pete69 » Sat. Jan. 10, 2009 6:16 am

Mine and my three boys. Guess that makes 8

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sun. Jan. 11, 2009 12:19 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

etribuna

Post by etribuna » Tue. Jan. 13, 2009 8:59 pm

Getting the AA-130 into the cellar was a real task. I'm told it weighs in at about 900 pounds. We wrapped a very heavy duty rope around it and attached the other end of the rope to the John Deere lawn tractor. Mike (completeheat) and two of his guys worked it down the kinda' steep bulkhead stairs (8 steps) while I drove the tractor and kept the rope as tight as possible.

I think the AA would have pulled the tractor right into the cellar if the other three guys weren't manhandling it.

Oh yeah, I know it's not really a stove.

Ed...

OldAA130
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by OldAA130 » Thu. Jan. 15, 2009 7:53 pm

etribuna wrote:Getting the AA-130 into the cellar was a real task....

...Oh yeah, I know it's not really a stove.

Ed...
Don't short yourself. It's the most unique heating system I've ever come across. My dad has burned every fuel known to man (except maybe cow patties) so we've dealt with a couple different kinds.

For me the gettin' in part was easy... just backed the trailer in and lifted off with a chain fall. The gettin' out part was no fun.

The boiler was in a 200 year old house in the basement at the far corner from the door. We rolled the boiler on pipes about 50' through several doors and around corners. There were 8 steps up to the door. I parked the trailer outside against the house (brick) and used a come-along to jack the boiler up and out. we layed planks down on the steps to slide the boiler up on. We (me myself and I... well I guess dad helped a little) had the boiler disconnected from service, loaded on the trailer, and 3 ton of pea coal carried from same location to the trailer in 5gal buckets in less than 1.5 hours. :flex:

Not so much fun but I'd do it all over again!

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Fri. Feb. 06, 2009 11:48 pm

I had to pick mine up at the dealers, and he still charged me $290 for delivery! :mad:
I have a small trailer that I tow behind my Outback. The dealer put the stove, which was on a pallet and wieghs 500lbs., on the trailer with his electric lift. I tied it down, and back to the house we go.
At the house, I put my forks on front of my tractor's loader bucket, and lifted the stove off the trailer. I drove down to the lower level of the house, where the stove was to go. I opened the back door, and carefully drove the stove right thru the opened door. Yes, it is just a 36" wide exterior door, not a garage door, or anything easy like that. Once the stove was in the door, hanging about 6 inches off of the floor, I stuck a piano dolly under it, and lowered the forks until the stove was sitting on the dolly. From there I wheeled it around to where the stove was to be installed. I then tipped the stove, dolly and all, at a 45 degree angle, and the stove slid to the floor, where I could kick the dolly away. After unbolting the stove from the pallet, I then slid the stove off, and onto some furniture-moving skids or shoes. I could slide the stove right into position, and remove the skids from under each side by lifting each corner of the stove. WAA-LAA! Stove in place! :dancing:

"wHAT DID YOU DO THIS WEEKEND?"
"i INSTALLED MY OWN COAL BURNER, ALL BY MYSELF!"
My stove heated me longggg before I attempted the first burn.

Chris F.

Dann757

Post by Dann757 » Sat. Feb. 07, 2009 9:28 am

Hey Chris,

Great job! I call it "knowing the secrets of the pyramids". I worked with a guy once on a construction site who could easily move boulders with a railroad pry bar. It was good to learn that. Take your time and you can do anything. "Give me a lever large enough and I can move the world!"

Really nice house in your avatar!! I went parachuting in Pittstown years ago, I have a silversmith friend who has lived there for many years...

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Sat. Feb. 07, 2009 11:45 am

Dann757 wrote:Hey Chris,

Great job! I call it "knowing the secrets of the pyramids" theory. I worked with a guy once on a construction site who could easily move boulders with a railroad pry bar. It was good to learn that. Take your time and you can do anything. "Give me a lever large enough and I can move the world!"

Really nice house in your avatar!! I went parachuting in Pittstown years ago, I have a silversmith friend who has lived there for many years...
Thanks Dann757, Yeah, I agree with the "Knowing the Secrets of the Pyramids". I also believe in a quote my grandfather used to tell me: "Theres a right tool for every job" (or did I hear that from Norm Abram) ;)

The avatar is kinda hard to see (well it is for me ) :eek2: so I will try to include that pic below. (My appoligies to Richard, if I do this wrong). I did that stone chimney by myself, when I installed the Fireplace Extrordinaire in the Great Room. I also did the shake siding, the roof, the deck, the barn, the chicken coop.... etc.... :fear: the wife is a real :whip: (just kidding).

You probably parachuted out of Sky Manor, or maybe Alexandria Airports.
I always wanted to do that, but I figured "Why jump out of a perfectly good airplane! :sick:

Chris F.
148-4827_IMG.JPG

Homestead (front)

.JPG | 418.3KB | 148-4827_IMG.JPG
Homestead2 .jpg

Homestead2 (back)

.JPG | 241KB | Homestead2 .jpg
DVC-500.jpg

Harman DVC-500

.JPG | 107.8KB | DVC-500.jpg
FireplaceExtrordinaire.jpg

FireplaceExtrordinaire

.JPG | 150KB | FireplaceExtrordinaire.jpg

Dann757

Post by Dann757 » Sat. Feb. 07, 2009 12:34 pm

Hey man good for you and your American Dream! Adorable kids too. I just dug out the paperwork- it was Sky Manor in May of 93. Sixteen years ago oh no where did the time go. I'll jump right out of an airplane but I get scared when I have to give somebody a bill for the good work I've done! Your chimney work is awesome.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”