Expansion Tank, Circulator Locations

This forum is for common products and questions such as chimney installations, CO detectors, coal bin designs and a variety of other general topics that do not fit into the other forums.
Machinist
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-2
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: None

Post Fri. Sep. 12, 2008 3:26 pm

I am beginning to plumb my Keystoker boiler and I am having trouble deciding where to locate the expansion tank and circulators. The best location for me seems to be against the stone foundation of my home. Is this a bad idea?

The foundation is about 2' thick and has about 1' exposed outside above ground level, not insulated.
The basement is only 65" high to the bottom of the floor joists. Bump my head often!
The nearest window will be about 4' away and will be the future coal chute.
The boiler will be located between the window and the expansion tank, circulators.

Looking forward to warm showers again!
Mike

titleist1
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Mag Stoker (old style) one in basement, one in workshop
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III on standby for long power outages
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite; Nut/Anthracite

Post Fri. Sep. 12, 2008 4:29 pm

"Looking forward to warm showers again!"

Well, To quote Clint from Heartbreak Ridge.......

Just because we are holding hands
doesn't mean we'll take warm showers
until the wee hours of the morning.

But to answer your question....It wouldn't seem to be a good idea to have it directly against the stone foundation. Most I have seen are mounted between the ceiling joists.
I drive a VW TDI, heat my home & workshop with two coal stokers and have two vintage JD diesel tractors....
The EPA just loves me!!

Machinist

Post Fri. Sep. 12, 2008 5:12 pm

I have a very small basement. Along with the boiler there is a washer, dryer and future 4 ton coal bin. So I am looking to maximize the space, make things easily serviceable and certainly freeze resistant.

Would 2" foam board insulation between the foundation wall and equipment help?
Mike

TGMC
Stove/Furnace Make: KEYSTOKER
Stove/Furnace Model: KB 8

Post Fri. Sep. 12, 2008 6:29 pm

mike
my keystoker boiler is under my concrete/block front porch and it is only 8"away from the wall. my exposure on that wall is 3 ' and I have no problems. just keep the plumbing away from the walls and insulate the pipes for best results.
good luck
If it ain't broke, fix it anyway!
Pittston Val

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading piece o' junk in the barn (rice)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post Fri. Sep. 12, 2008 7:00 pm

Machinist wrote:Would 2" foam board insulation between the foundation wall and equipment help?
Yes, but it can't be left uncovered. Code requires it to be covered. Sheetrock usually.
Orrington, Maine
Fred

"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".

Dallas
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Modified Russo C-35
Other Heating: Oil Hot Air
Stove/Furnace Make: Russo
Stove/Furnace Model: Modified C-35

Post Fri. Sep. 12, 2008 7:04 pm

I don't understand the problem. Usually the circulators are mounted right on the pipes as they enter the boiler and the expansion tank and auto fill valve are located right above the boiler before the line drops to the boiler. Aren't they?

Machinist

Post Fri. Sep. 12, 2008 7:46 pm

Dallas wrote:I don't understand the problem. Usually the circulators are mounted right on the pipes as they enter the boiler and the expansion tank and auto fill valve are located right above the boiler before the line drops to the boiler. Aren't they?
It's a small boiler about 23 x 28" x 36" tall on 2" thick blocks, in a low basement(65"). Doesn't leave much room above for a fill-trol (27" tall) and circulator pumps.
I am thinking of piping the feed line up, 25" and behind the boiler 45" to the wall then 1 foot or so to the right to leave room to service the vent. Then mount the fill-trol, circulator pumps, flow checks along the wall.

I like TGMC's and Freddy's comments, maybe a combination of both.
Thanks
Mike

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”