4-6" Stove Pipe Increaser?

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Fri. Sep. 12, 2008 8:04 am

I know there is a single wall 4-6" increaser available but single wall stove pipe requires an 18" gap from combustibles. Do they make a 4-6" double wall increaser? I can't seem to find any located any where online.

gambler

Post by gambler » Fri. Sep. 12, 2008 9:32 am

I don't know it they make it in double wall but why don't you try something like this?
http://www.redhillgeneralstore.com/Ocp54120.htm
This just happened to be the first one I came to. I know other companies make a more decorative heat shield. search the web for stove pipe.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Sep. 12, 2008 9:40 am

You would be better served by shielding the combustables with a sheet of steel than using double wall pipe from your coal appliance to the thimble. Better to let the heat from your stovepipe heat your home than go up the chimney. It may not seem like much, but it is a lot over the course of a winter. ;)

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Sun. Sep. 14, 2008 7:45 am

You would be better served by shielding the combustibles with a sheet of steel than using double wall pipe from your coal appliance to the thimble.
See my problem isn't the single wall pipe to the wall, it's the single wall pipe to the ceiling and the 18 inch clearance. I was thinking of going with a power vent since it's cheaper to set up right now then going with a SS chimney, but with the ceiling height it seems I would barely have enough room in between the two tee's to have any pipe in there. I was looking at one tee for the baro and one tee used instead of an elbow for clean out.

If I place a sheet of metal on the ceiling to get the 8 inch clearance could it just be any type of metal plate or does it need to be a certain thickness and type? Would one of those thin metal sheets you can buy at the local hardware store work?

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Mon. Sep. 15, 2008 9:12 am

Does anyone use any type of heat shield on their ceiling to reduce the clearance needed from their stove pipe?

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Sep. 15, 2008 12:46 pm

I used an old piece of aluminum or sheet metal, and just make sure you have an air gap.

Previously, My single wall pipe was really close to the ceiling in the basement going into the chimney, I just put a piece of aluminum or sheet metal as a cover over any combustible item (joists, etc..). It still got warm, but no where near without out.

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Mon. Sep. 15, 2008 6:00 pm

Would a piece of sheet metal with a space be enough to pass inspection?

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Thu. Sep. 18, 2008 8:26 am

Can I go with just one tee in place of the elbow and install my baro there and still be able to clean it out? Would it be alright for me to remove the baro every time I go to clean it. Would the baro come out of whack and need to be reset each time it's reinstalled?

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”