New LL Hearthstove Pipe Question

boerboels

Post by boerboels » Wed. Sep. 10, 2008 11:03 am

I recently purchased a new hearth stove and I have a dilema. I understand my stove pipe has to run through my fireplace and 2' past my damper towards my chimney. My damper has just the frame and it's 4" wide. Obviously I have to compress the stove pipe into an oval shape to get through the damper, but then it has to go back at an angle for 2' and I can't figure out how to do this? When I purchased my home a few years ago they had a woodburning insert and the pipe went through a stainless steel plate attached to the bottom of the damper but it only went about 3" past the damper...It worked very well with no vent problems but many people have advised me to go at least 2' past the damper and the fireplace shelf with the coal burner. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Wed. Sep. 10, 2008 12:32 pm

YOu will probably have to make an adapter and a plate to cover up the flue/damper area, you don't want any leaks coming back down the chimney. Maybe make a flange that fits up into the opening with the correct oval shape piece of pipe up into the chimney, then hook it up on the bottom part of the plate to your stove.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”