Does the Coal Trol Offer Any Option to Keep the Stove Off if It Loses Power?

jrn8265

Post by jrn8265 » Wed. Sep. 03, 2008 1:06 pm

I have a keystoker koker coming with coal trol installed.

Does the coal trol offer any option to keep the stove off if it loses power..when the power is restored it is kept off so that no unburnt coal is pushed into the ash pan until I tell it to start pushing?

Or if not, any suggestions on how to do this?

Thanks!

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Wed. Sep. 03, 2008 2:09 pm

Nope, you have to have some type of battery (UPS) system on it.
It will continue where it left off before the power outage.

Do a search on Battery Backup, Inverters, etc....

YOu could put a flame out Snap (Temperature) switch, if the exhaust falls below a certain temp, it will keep the stoker from pushing coal if you wire it in series with your stoker motor. Totally separate from the CoalTrol.

pvolcko
Verified Business Rep.

Post by pvolcko » Wed. Sep. 03, 2008 6:23 pm

Here's a hack people can try...

When the Coal-trol is setup for using the igniter (SETUP -> IGN setting M), it will keep the motors off when power returns.

You can select the "M" setting for IGN in the SETUP menu, even without having the igniter installed. Since you switched it to "M" from "N" the control will assume that the fire is still going from when it was in the "N" setting. Run with it as you normally would in this mode. When the power goes out and comes back on, the Coal-trol will assume that the fire went out, turn off all the motors, and wait for the user to initiate an IGNITE sequence. Since you don't have the igniter, you can go back into the SETUP menu, go to IGN and select "N" and then "M" again. This will reset the unit back to non-igniter mode and then back to igniter manual mode, which will force it to assume there is a fire going and start working normally again.

Obviously, if you have or get an igniter, all the IGN setting voodoo isn't needed, just use the IGNITE and BRNOUT items in the extended menu to start and stop the fire/stove.

jrn8265

Post by jrn8265 » Thu. Sep. 04, 2008 7:36 am

Awesome, thanks!

pclfal

Post by pclfal » Fri. Sep. 05, 2008 11:43 am

I have a Kestoker stoker 105 BTU coming with a Coal Trol Therm.
What would happen if the power goes out and you hook up a generator within 15 or 20 minutes, how about after 15 or 20 minutes.

Also the "black box" that comes with the Coal-Trol is mounted near the stove, yes? But the actual thermostate goes elswhere like upstairs in the living quarters?

Thanks for all your help, forum is great!

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I

Post by WNY » Sat. Sep. 06, 2008 6:02 pm

Yes, the blackbox is mounted either on the stove hopper, or close to the stove, and the thermostat can be up to 20-25' away with the cable (internet type Cat5?), you can extend it if needed with the same type of cable.

pvolcko
Verified Business Rep.

Post by pvolcko » Mon. Sep. 08, 2008 9:21 pm

The cable is 8 conductor with RJ-45 type connectors, same as ethernet cat-5 cable. The unit will come with a 25ft thermostat cable. If you need a longer one we sell a 50ft one or can custom make one up to 100ft (100ft is the max the Coal-trol supports).

jrn8265

Post by jrn8265 » Wed. Sep. 10, 2008 7:59 am

So the blower, stoker, convection all plug into the coaltrol module. Then the coal trol plugs into the wall. Anyone know how many amps the Coal trol module pulls from the electrical line at max? Thanks

pvolcko
Verified Business Rep.

Post by pvolcko » Wed. Sep. 10, 2008 11:00 am

Our control box is rated for a maximum of 1200W. However, the additional draw that the Coal-trol makes is very small compared to the motors that are connected. On the order of maybe 5W, so for all practical purposes you can total up the draws from the motors you'll be connecting and use that. If you have the igniter kit installed then that will use 240W more for the 10 minutes or so it is on during an ignition cycle.

jrn8265

Post by jrn8265 » Wed. Sep. 10, 2008 1:03 pm

thanks much

morrisfamily3098

Post by morrisfamily3098 » Fri. Oct. 03, 2008 9:28 am

I have a new hyfire 2. my control box has a green cord on the leisure line site it sais do not plug anything into this green cord. What is the GREEN cord for :surrender:

pvolcko
Verified Business Rep.

Post by pvolcko » Sat. Oct. 04, 2008 3:21 pm

The igniter accessory.

ace22
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line

Post by ace22 » Fri. Oct. 10, 2008 7:50 pm

I tried the "M" setting trick on my stove and it didn't seem to work. :( I went into setup and changed the IGN setting from N to M. Then I turned the power off to my stove for a couple of minutes.(about 5) When I turned the power back on the stove resumed normal operation . So I just switched back to the N position. Does your power have to be off for a certain amount of time? And when the power comes back on with the coaltrol in the M setting does it work for a couple of minutes and then shut down? In either case maybe I didn't wait long enough. We have quite a few power outages in the winter somtimes when I am not home so I would like to get this trick to work. And when I am home I do have a generator but it takes about 20 minutes to get it all hooked up. I just bought my stove in the spring so it is new.

gambler

Post by gambler » Fri. Oct. 10, 2008 9:11 pm

Don't turn the power off, unplug the coal-trol from the wall to simulate a power outage.
I have done this with my stove and it works but the coal-trol must be left unplugged for atleast 30 seconds.
So if you have a power flash your stove will keep humming along but if you lose power for 30 sec or more the stove will shut down.

pvolcko
Verified Business Rep.

Post by pvolcko » Sat. Oct. 11, 2008 1:37 am

Ugh... okay I think I may have screwed up. This trick will only work for a power outage long enough to discharge the power backup capacitor in the thermostat. The capacitor will power the thermostat in its sleep mode (used while line power is gone) for quite a while, well over an hour when the capacitor is fully charged. Takes several minutes to charge it up fully.

My apologies, this hack won't be as useful as I had hoped. The idea to add this as a new feature is noted.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”