Igniter Update for the Caol Trol

rotaxtwin
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker

Post by rotaxtwin » Wed. Aug. 27, 2008 8:53 pm

Can we get an update on the igniter?
Thanks.

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Thu. Aug. 28, 2008 12:28 am

For the Coaltrol. I believe it's a finished product. They have a video of it on their website. It is pretty nifty.

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Thu. Aug. 28, 2008 5:25 pm

But the Coal-trol Igniter Kit is not listed under the products page. http://www.coaltroldigital.com/

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Thu. Aug. 28, 2008 10:52 pm

Units should be ready to ship soon, they wanted to make sure that there were no reliability issues before starting production. Give the good folks at Automation Correct a call at the number on their website and I'm sure you can get an answer as to availability and where to purchase. :)

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Fri. Aug. 29, 2008 12:41 am

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Fri. Aug. 29, 2008 6:58 am

I was just curious as to how much something like this was going to cost? Seems like something that would be useful for the wife if I'm not around.

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Fri. Aug. 29, 2008 10:14 am

Most guys light the stove and let it burn the whole season. If we get a warm spell you can just idle the stove and it will barely throw out any heat. It's a cool feature but not something that is a must have.

pvolcko
Verified Business Rep.

Post by pvolcko » Sat. Aug. 30, 2008 1:13 pm

The Igniter Kit has been shipping to OEMs and dealers for a couple months now. We've been pretty busy and haven't had the chance to fully update the website yet. In the coming days a listing of the new features of the V3 thermostats will be added, a general announcement of the additions and changes to our product line up for this season, and a page for the new Igniter. We will also be updating the manuals that are linked on the various product pages. Likely will start a documentation/media page with our old manuals and the new ones, our various sales and informational literature, our videos and pictures, and other such stuff.

I can tell you the list price for the Igniter Kit is $245.

I'll also admit, we have been "slow rolling" the release of the Igniter in the retail market, which is the primary reason for the delay in the 2008-2009 product line up announcement and why the web site hasn't been fully updated yet. It isn't because we're concerned about the reliability of the Igniter itself, but rather because we're wrestling with how to deal with the fact that to install it one has to drill holes into their grate, a warranty busting move if there ever was one. And if the holes somehow get drilled incorrectly it is a problem that may not be easily remedied by the customer. And with manufacturers as busy as they are, they may be understandably slow to provide repairs or replacements. We provide a drilling template that is taped to the grate along with detailed installation instructions, but given the difficult position a customer can be left in should a mistake be made we've been reticent about talking about it, advertising it, or really pushing it in the retail market so far.

I'd certainly like to hear any suggestions or comments you guys have on this issue.

That all said, we're taking orders through dealers and OEMs. If you accept the installation and warranty risk, are confident you can drill properly aligned and straight holes of up to 1/2" in size into your grate (use of a drill press is a big bonus), we encourage you to inquire through those channels for the time being. If you don't have a local dealer you can call us to order direct at list price. Expect some hesitance from Neil when you talk to him. :)

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Aug. 30, 2008 1:32 pm

How about a few installation kits like they did with the manometers. That seemed to be quite successful and should work fine. Provide a metal template with pre-drilled holes that they could clamp to the metal.

I'm assuming the template shipped is paper? Makes sure they have instructions to use a punch to get a starting point for the hole if they drilling free hand. Most people are not going to have experience with drilling metal and as I'm sure you are aware the drill tip can wander before it catches.

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Sat. Aug. 30, 2008 4:32 pm

Maybe with a design change you could set up the Igniter so it could clamp onto the grate of a stoker by connecting either underneath it or on the side of it. Maybe a small C-clamp would work? Then no drilling and no warranties ruined.

spc

Post by spc » Sun. Aug. 31, 2008 2:07 pm

If not already available, a detailed installation video would help.

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Sun. Aug. 31, 2008 5:27 pm

The igniter video is on the main page of their site. You have to scroll down a little. The link I provided was for a pic and not the video. Anyway, it takes 18 minutes to get ignition. I'd like to see that number decreased since a coal mice will give you ignition in about 30 seconds and is lots of fun since my wife won't let me buy fireworks anymore. I use to use flares to light the fire. The first time I tried it I thought the glass was going to break because the fire was projected in that direction.

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Thu. Sep. 11, 2008 8:17 am

Paul

Can this be welded onto the grate? If it's welded then no holes to be drilled and no warranty ruined and if the unit should fail then it could maybe be cut away and the stoker could still be used? What is the life expectancy on the igniter?

pvolcko
Verified Business Rep.

Post by pvolcko » Thu. Sep. 11, 2008 12:17 pm

Thanks for the ideas.

No, welding it is not an option. There are wires that need to feed through into the air box below the grate and then out the back of the stoker unit, the larger through hole is necessary. Once that one is made, the two smaller mounting screw holes are no big deal. :) Also, people are even less likely to have welding equipment that a drill press or the ability to hand drill the holes. And, isn't welding to cast iron kind of tricky? Forgive my ignorance if I'm wrong, I'm not too knowledgeable about welding in general.

An installation video is a good idea. Will run it by the rest of the crew and see when it might be able to be made.

Clamping is difficult. Again, the wires need to go through the grate no matter what, so that larger through hole is needed no matter how it is mounted to the grate. We did try a method of clamping the element from where the wires and ceramic insulator poke through the bottom of the grate, however it was prone to failing. It didn't hold up over time to the stresses placed on the element, allowing it to twist, elevate off the grate, and placing unreasonable stress on the joint where the wires and the element connect. Since the main hole was necessary, adding the two smaller holes (non-through holes) for mounting screws seemed a small step to take.

I like the idea of the metal drill template. We have made them before for factory installs, but we hadn't really considered making some up for retrofit installs. Will also bring this up with the crew.

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Thu. Sep. 11, 2008 3:31 pm

Also, people are even less likely to have welding equipment that a drill press or the ability to hand drill the holes. And, isn't welding to cast iron kind of tricky?
I'm not sure of how welding works myself, I just know I have a friend who owns a welder, not even sure if it would be the correct kind or not to do such a job?

Do you have a diagram of what the template looks like? How many holes would need to be drilled to attach it to the feeder grate?

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”