What to oil flue pipe with? Clean-up procedures?

KozyKingOhio
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Kozy King 300
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: 90% wood 10% coal

Post by KozyKingOhio » Wed. Mar. 22, 2023 6:37 am

My first year burning anthracite.
I know to disassemble and oil everything. (flue pipe)
What oil do I use?
Do I do anything special for my Class A chimney?
Spray oil in the fire box???

Thoughts/Ideas for a good clean-up?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Mar. 22, 2023 8:10 am

It's old school--BUT--I use WD40 for the fire-box & just use a & just a pipe brush on my black pipe--some put the black pipe in a real dry environment--I don't cause it's real dry here on the hill. I'm sure you'll get many different ways but that's mine. :)

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Mar. 22, 2023 8:37 am

Other than sweeping and then a few wood fires to put a layer of creosote in the pipe and chimneys I do nothing. Ive never sprayed my stove but theres no reason you cant do that. WD40 is a wonder spray, good for a lot of things.

If your in a humid or salty environment I'd worry more but if your burning 90% wood in the same stove as coal, as your profile says, I wouldnt even worry about it and I'd go fishing instead of cleaning. There are a lot of posts on the subject if you want to search a little using the search box in upper right corner.

Retro_Origin
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1957 Axeman Anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat / Pea

Post by Retro_Origin » Wed. Mar. 22, 2023 9:30 am

warminmn wrote:
Wed. Mar. 22, 2023 8:37 am
Other than sweeping and then a few wood fires to put a layer of creosote in the pipe and chimneys I do nothing. Ive never sprayed my stove but theres no reason you cant do that. WD40 is a wonder spray, good for a lot of things.

If your in a humid or salty environment I'd worry more but if your burning 90% wood in the same stove as coal, as your profile says, I wouldnt even worry about it and I'd go fishing instead of cleaning. There are a lot of posts on the subject if you want to search a little using the search box in upper right corner.
FYI I never knew for years that WD in WD-40 stands for "water displacing", it drives out the moisture. I was told that it could be used to dry out distributor caps that had cracked and allowed moisture in, while I've never seen it done I'm sure some of you old timers have done that before! Some people think WD-40 is just like PB-blaster.... at work we buy a gallon of WD40 and then store it in these spray bottles...way cheaper than buying the cans!!

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Wed. Mar. 22, 2023 9:52 am

KozyKingOhio wrote:
Wed. Mar. 22, 2023 6:37 am
My first year burning anthracite.
I know to disassemble and oil everything. (flue pipe)
What oil do I use?
Do I do anything special for my Class A chimney?
Spray oil in the fire box???

Thoughts/Ideas for a good clean-up?
======================================================================================================

Scrape all the flats with a high quality heavy barbeque brush and then use a heavy paint scraper with a sharp blade to remove the stuck on fly ash and use Fluid Film in the Aerosol Spray Can to coat everything to reduce rusting.

When you clean the chimney make sure you have a shop vac running to suck up the fly ash that will be flying around while scraping it.

You can always use a heavy shop towels soaked in Fluid Film wrapped around the flue brush to coat the inside of the chimney.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Mar. 22, 2023 9:58 am

I vote for a quick brushing and a few wood fires.

nut
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay
Other Heating: electric

Post by nut » Wed. Mar. 22, 2023 10:06 am

A light coat of WD 40 on the outside surfaces. I leave the air vent open to keep the draft going. Not sure but I think this helps keep things dry inside.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Mar. 22, 2023 10:18 am

Rob R. wrote:
Wed. Mar. 22, 2023 9:58 am
I vote for a quick brushing and a few wood fires.
I have to agree...

I did it the hard way lol I used to hose out the fire box and stove pipe with water. Then I would dry it out with an electric heater. Following that, I'd use a paint brush and brush the whole interior of the fire box with motor oil. I'd let the black pipe bake in the sun till dry and store in the attic. I have a very swampy basement all spring summer and fall.

The easier and probably best solution would be to brush everything out, this would include taking apart the black stove pipe to do thoroughly. Then reassemble to run some wood fires. If your furnace is in a swampy basement, I'd recommend disassembly of the stove pipe again and storing it in a dry place for the summer. By coating it with creosote every spring it'll probably last forever. If nothing is done, the stove pipe could rot out in one summer.

Mark the stove pipe at each joint so that it goes back together the same way every time. This step makes reassembly much easier.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Mar. 22, 2023 10:56 am

Retro_Origin wrote:
Wed. Mar. 22, 2023 9:30 am
FYI I never knew for years that WD in WD-40 stands for "water displacing", it drives out the moisture. I was told that it could be used to dry out distributor caps that had cracked and allowed moisture in, while I've never seen it done I'm sure some of you old timers have done that before! Some people think WD-40 is just like PB-blaster.... at work we buy a gallon of WD40 and then store it in these spray bottles...way cheaper than buying the cans!!
I cannot see your picture. Lots of discussions about WD-40 on auto sites. Many will say PB blaster is better for getting rusted bolts apart and i will agree with that, but WD-40 is like a wonder drug and can be used for many things. If my hands are super greasy I spray them with it and rub my hands together and grease comes right off. Thats an odd example and I picked it on purpose. Good stuff! Nothing would surprise me about its use.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Mar. 22, 2023 11:34 am

Who you callin an "Old Timer" ya young woodpecker??????????????????? :o :lol:

Retro_Origin wrote:
Wed. Mar. 22, 2023 9:30 am
I'm sure some of you old timers have done that before!

KozyKingOhio
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Kozy King 300
Other Heating: 90% wood 10% coal

Post by KozyKingOhio » Wed. Mar. 22, 2023 7:16 pm

Thanks for the ideas, fellows!!
(You boys don't own stock in WD-40, do you?) :wink:

If the price of anthracite comes down, I'll be switching my profile around, 10% wood and 90% coal! :clap:
I love 12 hour burn times and even heat. I'll have to find another way to work my kids hard if I stop cutting wood....
Thanks to this site, I think I can eventually learn this fine art! Lots of practice, trial and error.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Mar. 22, 2023 8:09 pm

I ran a batch fed coal furnace similar to yours for 8 years. Loved every minute of it, till something broke. Then it was me vs the furnace :lol:

Retro_Origin
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1957 Axeman Anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat / Pea

Post by Retro_Origin » Wed. Mar. 22, 2023 8:33 pm

Hahaha, what's offensive about being called an old timer?! Anyone who qualifies should be proud to! Plus, I didn't mention any names.... just saying wd40 might be extra helpful because one of its functions is to displace water.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Wed. Mar. 22, 2023 8:42 pm

Retro_Origin wrote:
Wed. Mar. 22, 2023 8:33 pm
Hahaha, what's offensive about being called an old timer?! Anyone who qualifies should be proud to! Plus, I didn't mention any names.... just saying wd40 might be extra helpful because one of its functions is to displace water.
I love old timers, sometimes they just need a new battery and ta-da, just like new. :lol:
And they are my favorite brand of pocket knife as well.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Mar. 22, 2023 8:49 pm

Retro_Origin wrote:
Wed. Mar. 22, 2023 8:33 pm
Nary a thing R. You're right--all ya gotta do is live long enough to be one. Yours & mine both on the pocket knife. :) Course I do have a couple old Barlow's layin around. ;)

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”