Supervent Chimney

Duengeon master
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite pea and nut mix. Bituminous lump

Post by Duengeon master » Sun. Feb. 26, 2023 6:15 pm

I started to burn coal before I joined Nepa Crossroads Coal forum in 2007. Not having an adequate chimney I went to Lowe's and purchased everything for a Super Vent Chimney. It said at the time and they still do today have a lifetime warranty on their components. So I spent about $1,000 for everything I needed. I have been heating with coal religiously ever since.

Well, 17 years later the inside liner is rotted away. The metal liner was partially blocking the tube. Cleaning it out I noticed this was rusted metal and not soot. I cleaned it up and tried an experiment to see if it would still be able to be used. The manometer has continually shown a good draft and the outside is cool to the touch. So I have been using it and watching it carefully. However, now the manometer is showing less than 3 on the bar. I hope the liner is not buckled and blocking it.

Has anyone had any similar experience with a Supervent? Do you thing the warranty is kosher? I need a new chimney but can't afford one now. I don't like the idea of using the oil furnace since I am accustomed to an 80 degree house.

BTW, I have two CO detectors in good working condition.

franpipeman
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm 520 stoker fitzgibbons pressure vessel
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman, russo
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: alpine propane condensing boiler radiant floor

Post by franpipeman » Tue. Feb. 28, 2023 9:19 am

i know of one caveat, I have seen language With some s steel liners that the guarantee the chimney liner if you have a yearly receipt from a chimney sweep

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Feb. 28, 2023 9:55 am

Watch facebook marketplace and craigslist for a used chimney. If they burned wood in it, its probably better than a new one because of the light creosote coating it will have to protect it a little. Ive used a supervent since 2000 and the first 10 years were with just wood. Im fairly sure thats why its still ok.

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Wed. Mar. 01, 2023 12:13 am

Here's the current warranty sheet from Selkirk Supervent. Maybe not the same warranty as when you bought it. It references pipe bought after Jan. 01, 2009 being covered 100% for 10 years, then prorated for less and less. Over 15 years is 50%. Long list of wiggle out of it conditions listed.

https://www.selkirkcorp.com/literature/510007_Sma ... 022023.pdf

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”