Interesting discussion of Chimney height with gas appliance - part of 1980's gas industry study

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sun. Feb. 05, 2023 1:38 pm

Page
Page 40
ENERGY LAW JOURNAL
Vol. 5:2
In the case of Wallinger v. Ma,rtin Stamping and Stove Co., 93 111. App.2d. 437,236
N.E.2d. 755 (1968), for example, the defendant gas heater manufacturer provided
detailed installation instructions which were followed by the victim. Unfortunately,
the instructions did not detail the proper chimney height. The victim installed a
short chimney which resulted in his death by carbon monoxide poisoning. The
court found the defendant strictly liable for failure to provide more specific
instructions

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=c ... clnk&gl=us

^^ this gas-industry study done in 80's was created in response to the EPA looking into regulating gas appliances (or to eliminate them for the public's use).

I was re-reading the study and noted the chimney issuing causing CO death. Are coal stoves possibly similar ?

gardener

Post by gardener » Fri. Feb. 10, 2023 10:44 am

davidmcbeth3 wrote:
Sun. Feb. 05, 2023 1:38 pm
I was re-reading the study and noted the chimney issuing causing CO death. Are coal stoves possibly similar ?
I would think so, isn't that why many people have manometers to idle down low without stalling?
The draft is needed to carry the exhaust away and not release it into the living space.

Also do you have an updated hyperlink for that? That link is broken.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Feb. 10, 2023 10:52 am

If you install a coal stove with a chimney that does not provide reliable draft you are at risk of CO poisoning. The stove installation manuals I have seen provide defrauded instructions on venting, and include a mimimim chimney height.

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Fri. Feb. 10, 2023 2:14 pm

gardener wrote:
Fri. Feb. 10, 2023 10:44 am
I would think so, isn't that why many people have manometers to idle down low without stalling?
The draft is needed to carry the exhaust away and not release it into the living space.

Also do you have an updated hyperlink for that? That link is broken.
The link is indeed broke. I do not have an updated one. Lucky I copied/pasted the relevant part.

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Fri. Feb. 10, 2023 2:20 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Fri. Feb. 10, 2023 10:52 am
If you install a coal stove with a chimney that does not provide reliable draft you are at risk of CO poisoning. The stove installation manuals I have seen provide defrauded instructions on venting, and include a mimimim chimney height.
Bad installation instructions leaves the company open to lawsuits. Many companies simply don't double and triple check instructions that they provide their customers. With products I have made I don't give instructions just to avoid such issues but that does not fully release one from making products with obvious defects. I have refused to manufacture several products due to safety concerns...I make sure when I work for a company that I have the complete authority over my department's activities.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”