Barometric Damper recommendation

nut
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: electric

Post by nut » Fri. Jan. 27, 2023 9:34 am

I see US Stove dampers are the least expensive on the net. The reviews said some stick open or closed and thought it was chintzy. Only $43 though including the tee. Can anyone vouch for these or should I look for a better damper? Is it best to buy the tee and damper separately or are the combo ones ok?

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Jan. 27, 2023 11:02 am

I did not like my US stove one for reasons stated. Look around on ebay, Amazon, elsewhere for a good one. I heard the prices went crazy on them. I forget the model i have but its the one everyone likes. I made mine fit a tee I had so I can take it off and cap it with wood.

You may get lucky searching facebook marketplace or craigslist and find someone with pipe for sale that has one on it.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Jan. 27, 2023 12:51 pm

Get the Field Controls RC baro. You'll be happy you did ;)

nut

Post by nut » Fri. Jan. 27, 2023 12:57 pm

Lightning wrote:
Fri. Jan. 27, 2023 12:51 pm
Get the Field Controls RC baro. You'll be happy you did ;)
I saw them . I guess they last a lifetime, just change the tee occassionally?

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Jan. 27, 2023 1:03 pm

I wouldn't say they last forever. For me, they last about 5 years. BUT... Most of the damage was done in the off season when humidity caused corrosion. I'm sure there are others here that have gotten better lifetime out of one. Their design with the door swaying on pins is prit near frictionless and makes them very sensitive and accurate, in my opinion.

nut

Post by nut » Fri. Jan. 27, 2023 1:12 pm

Thanks guys.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Jan. 27, 2023 2:50 pm

If you want your damper to last a long time, remove it from the pipe collar in the off season, clean it, and set it aside. Otherwise the chimney draws moist air though and it condenses on the damper, causing corrosion.

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Fri. Jan. 27, 2023 5:15 pm

Lightning wrote:
Fri. Jan. 27, 2023 1:03 pm
I wouldn't say they last forever. For me, they last about 5 years. BUT... Most of the damage was done in the off season when humidity caused corrosion. I'm sure there are others here that have gotten better lifetime out of one. Their design with the door swaying on pins is prit near frictionless and makes them very sensitive and accurate, in my opinion.
That's about the lifespan that I've gotten out of Fields RC baro's. I admit that that I'm not always as quick to remove it and clean as I should be. The last one I got about 3 years ago has poorly drilled pivot holes for the flapper. One of these days I need to sleeve them or something. They have gotten pretty crazy in price, just like decent 22 ga. stovepipe. Prices are all over the place, so it pays to look around. I had a no-name baro many years ago that was complete junk. The Fields on my oil boiler stack is almost 20 years old and in great shape.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”