Lining an old chimney?

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sun. Oct. 30, 2022 9:45 am

The pics of the chimney top look as though there is a lot of waterproofing around the roofline.

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Sun. Oct. 30, 2022 12:47 pm

waytomany?s wrote:
Sun. Oct. 30, 2022 9:45 am
The pics of the chimney top look as though there is a lot of waterproofing around the roofline.
Yeah, that's usually a sure sign that the original flashing job failed, due to ancient mortar & tar was a last ditch effort to seal it.
Wouldn't be a bit surprised if that chimney top needed to be torn down to flashing, re laid & a good cap stone set on top to help keep the rain out.
Like I previously stated, it really needs to be checked out by someone qualified. Something like this really needs to be scrutinized up close & personal. Have repaired many like this one over the years & a tear down at least to flashing is very typical.

Jim

Phoenix02

Post by Phoenix02 » Sun. Oct. 30, 2022 6:51 pm

I'm still trying to find someone to come look at it. My time crunch is that I'm havng the back slope of the roof replaced with metal- it's not in the best of shape. At the same time they do that, if I can't make this fireplace work at all, it might just be better to have them knock it down to the roof line and roof over it.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Oct. 30, 2022 7:08 pm

Yep--she's surely been black-jacked.

coalder

Post by coalder » Sun. Oct. 30, 2022 8:26 pm

Phoenix02 wrote:
Sun. Oct. 30, 2022 6:51 pm
I'm still trying to find someone to come look at it. My time crunch is that I'm havng the back slope of the roof replaced with metal- it's not in the best of shape. At the same time they do that, if I can't make this fireplace work at all, it might just be better to have them knock it down to the roof line and roof over it.
That might your most viable option. By the time you are done doing the necessary repairs to that chimney, you possibly could of installed an SS chimney for the same price or less. And any carpenter worth his salt can install one.

Hint: If a SS chimney is in the cards, figure where you want it now & do it with the roof... same time.

Also: a lot of carpenters even though not masons can at least give you some idea of the condition of the chimney at present.

Keep us posted

Jim

Phoenix02

Post by Phoenix02 » Sun. Oct. 30, 2022 9:15 pm

Would it be possible to knock down to roof level and finish off with a stainless chiney cap up top, or would the idea be to tear out the whole chimney down to the floor, place a wood stove or something in its place, and go up with a stainless double lined chimney from that? I was hoping to not have to demo the interior walls to pull out the chimney if at all possible. That would turn this into a later date, possibly DIY project, considering the cost.

coalder

Post by coalder » Mon. Oct. 31, 2022 8:19 am

P, I've never heard of attaching SS to a masonry chimney. And can't imagine how it could be done & still meet code. I also highly suspect that there is a lot going on with that chimney, that's going to require a lot of very costly attention. As I have mentioned previously, you need to have someone qualified give that fireplace a real good look & then explain some options to you. There is not a whole lot more that anyone can do or suggest via computer/long distance.

Good luck

Jim

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Oct. 31, 2022 10:07 am

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Mon. Oct. 31, 2022 4:26 pm

Phoenix02 wrote:
Sun. Oct. 30, 2022 9:15 pm
Would it be possible to knock down to roof level and finish off with a stainless chiney cap up top, or would the idea be to tear out the whole chimney down to the floor, place a wood stove or something in its place, and go up with a stainless double lined chimney from that? I was hoping to not have to demo the interior walls to pull out the chimney if at all possible. That would turn this into a later date, possibly DIY project, considering the cost.
I think it would be almost impossible to tear down a brick chimney through the house down to it's base. Get a chimney guy to tear it down to the roof and cap it. Then you can take your time and decide what you want to do.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”