Fly ash

Jgspfldma
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Franco beldge model 104.08
Coal Size/Type: Pea or nut coal

Post by Jgspfldma » Wed. Oct. 05, 2022 7:47 pm

Hey yall, question? So I pulled my stove and pipe apart this afternoon and did a real good cleaning, brushes and poles to reach up into the top of where my exhaust pipe enters the clay flue. That being said I have about a 35ft chimney with a hell of draft. So most of all the build up of fly ash was exactly where I thought in the immediate exhaust and 90° elbow. The liner pipe that runs about 8.5 ft up into the clay flue was impressively clean, I still ran the brush up and got some ash out as there is a couple small bends going up. My big question is how much fly ash tends to stick on the clay flue? It's 8×8 and my draft is pretty damn good. Look forward to hearing any and all answers.
Thanks yall!

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Oct. 05, 2022 8:00 pm

I have never seen more than a light coating of flyash in my chimney. I think as long as it is warm and dry, any significant accumulation would fall off.

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Wed. Oct. 05, 2022 8:28 pm

Stopped cleaning my chimney when I started burning coal.
Jim

Jgspfldma
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Franco beldge model 104.08
Coal Size/Type: Pea or nut coal

Post by Jgspfldma » Wed. Oct. 05, 2022 8:33 pm

Phew! I was thinking that but not sure , like I said I know most accumulation is in that 90 and the general exhaust portion of the stove, there was some dust in the pipe going up. But I have no good way of seeing the clay liner. I figure most of it gets pulled right up and out the loose particles anyway. Just am asking. Nothing to worry about then. Thanks for the reply 👍🏻

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”