New Chute Qu

Kungur

Post by Kungur » Wed. Oct. 05, 2022 8:20 am

Yesterday I started the process of a new chute. I cut a top section out of my basement wall to increase the slope. Now as I start to des/fabricate the chute section I had an idea that I need advice on. My old chute had a piece of sheet metal to help with the "slide". But with time it rusted and pitted. I do have aluminum flashing mater I could use and with a brake can fashion it wit vertical sides. This w go into my wood tray.
So thoughts on if this would hold?
Thanks!

nut
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: electric

Post by nut » Fri. Oct. 07, 2022 7:55 pm

I think the aluminum would get highly pitted since it is so soft. It may wear through after a few years.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Oct. 08, 2022 8:00 am

Kungur wrote:
Wed. Oct. 05, 2022 8:20 am
Yesterday I started the process of a new chute. I cut a top section out of my basement wall to increase the slope. Now as I start to des/fabricate the chute section I had an idea that I need advice on. My old chute had a piece of sheet metal to help with the "slide". But with time it rusted and pitted. I do have aluminum flashing mater I could use and with a brake can fashion it wit vertical sides. This w go into my wood tray.
So thoughts on if this would hold?
Thanks!
If you're going to line the wood portion, try some of the hard plastic sheets. We used it to line the managers at the farm I used to work on. It's slick as can be when wet. Only slightly less when dry. Sorry, don't remember a product name.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”