Need a new Chute!

Kungur

Post by Kungur » Mon. Aug. 15, 2022 2:46 pm

My old plywood with sheet metal chute and funnel setup is needing to be replaced. I would like to use 6"pvc pipe for the chute but need some ideas for the funnel where the coal guy puts his chute.
I have seen where pvc heated with a heat gun can be manipulted into different shapes.
Thoughts??

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Tue. Aug. 16, 2022 8:27 pm

Six inch????? Too small for gravity even for rice.

Farm auger supply has funnel of sorts.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Aug. 17, 2022 12:08 pm

The chute on my suppliers truck is 10" & runs on to his conveyer-- K, your supplier don't have a conveyer belt???????

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Aug. 18, 2022 6:35 am

When I was delivering coal most of things customers did thinking they were helping were detrimental. The ideal opening for delivering coal at least for a high lift is as high as it can be relative to the bin (no more that 5 or 6 foot above ground level), wide and no obstructions. Ideally the bin is long relative to the bin instead of wide. If you have a ground level window I could fill it up to the rafters 8 feet back without ever touching a shovel. Gravity and polished aluminum chutes are a wonderful thing.

With sufficient angle the PVC will work but that's going to be pretty slow and winter time delivery could be problem with frozen chunks. One of the tricks is to angle the chute to one side and let it out slow, this will narrow the coal stream to a few inches and it can get it into small openings like that. You can just do some kind of temporary thing like cutting the bottom out a five gallon bucket to place over it when you are getting delivery. It's not ideal by any means.

One common material in old houses was clay sewer pipe (especially for longer runs under a porch for example) but those would tend to get out of alignment after many decades or they had switched to rice which had no hope of going down the original angle. For them I had the magic chute which was a heavy gauge SS chute that was about 6 inches wide and five feet long. I would just shove the whole chute down the pipe.

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Fri. Aug. 19, 2022 11:18 am

K look into Green Plastic Water Line pipe .I believe its 12 inches wide .Concrete guys that do Footers on new houses Cut The pipe in half .They will shoot The Concrete from above foundation into wood forms.Works Great .jack

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Aug. 19, 2022 12:22 pm

+1 on that Jack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”