6 Ton Rice Coal Delivery Thru Garage Door to Bin

CoaLen
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by CoaLen » Tue. Aug. 19, 2008 9:30 pm

I've got the same situation as Devil; the price difference between bulk and bagged isn't great enough to justify building a bin. I wish it was.
I store the bags in my garage. I've built a coal chute out of PVC pipe that runs from my garage, thru the rim joist and down into a bucket in the basement, just a few steps from the hopper. I don't carry any coal down the steps.
-Len

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Wed. Aug. 20, 2008 7:30 am

That's a cool idea. We'd like to see some pics. You might look to arrange a large bulk shipment if your sticking with coal. In quantitiy, even with trucking, you will probably come out ahead. Maybe co-op with someone else in your area. :idea:

beatle78

Post by beatle78 » Wed. Aug. 20, 2008 8:37 am

Devil505 wrote:I was thinking the same thing but around here, SE Mass, there is not enough of a price difference to make bulk worth it over the convenience of bagged. (no coal bin needed)
Really?

Here in RI last year, it was over $300/ton bagged & delivered and only $260/ton delivered in bulk. Those savings add up pretty quick! I bet I saved ~$200 last year alone!

djackman

Post by djackman » Thu. Dec. 18, 2008 1:23 am

Just a followup - how has Bethlehem's coal been burning?

Thinking of getting some from them since as of today Rella isn't allowing pickups of loose coal, delivery only - "two trucks running 6 days a week, no time!"

Doesn't make sense to pay +$100/ton for bagged when I have a bin and a dump body truck. My bin is in a bad location for delivery, not sure if delivery guy could hit it - low telephone lines in front of house, 8' tree between bin and street.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Dec. 18, 2008 10:38 am

djackman wrote:not sure if delivery guy could hit it
Post a picture and I can guess. If the lines are anywhere near where they have to lift it up the short answer is no. Even lifting the box off the frame will hit most lines at the peak before it starts going up in the air.

djackman

Post by djackman » Thu. Dec. 18, 2008 12:10 pm

Phone & power are about 10' above and parallel to sidewalk. Can't fill from back by going across neighbor's yard (long story). Bottom of bin is ~3' above road grade.

It's a bad spot. Once I burn thru the wood on the other side of the house I'll have place for a proper bin that's accessible.

Attachments

bin_1.jpg
.JPG | 122.2KB | bin_1.jpg
bin_2.jpg
.JPG | 157KB | bin_2.jpg

syncmaster
Stoker Coal Boiler: harmanVF3000 Coal/oil option
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by syncmaster » Thu. Dec. 18, 2008 1:27 pm

djackman wrote:Just a followup - how has Bethlehem's coal been burning?

Thinking of getting some from them since as of today Rella isn't allowing pickups of loose coal, delivery only - "two trucks running 6 days a week, no time!"

Doesn't make sense to pay +$100/ton for bagged when I have a bin and a dump body truck. My bin is in a bad location for delivery, not sure if delivery guy could hit it - low telephone lines in front of house, 8' tree between bin and street.
This is my first winter burning coal in my VF3000.
the 6 tons of rice I got from bethlehem Coal burns great.
the delivery guy Ron is really good at getting it into the bin.
his phone# 631-909-7050
he also has a portable conveyor he can bring , I think it is 16ft long.
Of course he charges extra to use it but it might be worth it to save your back.
I will be calling him in the spring to top off my bin.

arcticcatmatt

Post by arcticcatmatt » Thu. Dec. 18, 2008 2:10 pm

beatle78 wrote:
Devil505 wrote:I was thinking the same thing but around here, SE Mass, there is not enough of a price difference to make bulk worth it over the convenience of bagged. (no coal bin needed)
Really?

Here in RI last year, it was over $300/ton bagged & delivered and only $260/ton delivered in bulk. Those savings add up pretty quick! I bet I saved ~$200 last year alone!
300 a ton bagged? Jesus. If coal was 300/ton, I would not be using it here and my stove would be up for sale.

(don't jump on me fellow coal nerds, wood is just a lot cheaper than that)

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Thu. Dec. 18, 2008 3:25 pm

Coal here in Maine is $315 a ton, give or take. Wood is $275 a cord. At those prices it takes $17 worth of wood to make the heat of $16 worth of coal. Of course anyone with a good back, the time, and access to cheap wood.....go for it! I burned wood for years & years, now I prefer the less work of coal.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Dec. 18, 2008 4:04 pm

djackman, I'd have to say that shouldn't be any trouble but its hard to tell with pictures.

grizzly2
Other Heating: Oil foilfurnace, Jotul#3 woodstove,electric base board.

Post by grizzly2 » Thu. Dec. 18, 2008 4:51 pm

I get my coal in bulk from Mike at M&M Stove and Coal near Fulton NY. It is about a 75 mile drive from my house. My bro. in law wanted 3 tons of bagged rice. Mike loaded my 4 tons of pea (bulk) in the dump truck, put his 12' conveyor on top of my coal, loaded 3 tons of bagged rice onto a trailer and loaded his bobcat on the trailer too. He used the bobcat to unload the bagged rice at bro.'s house. When he go to my house he used the bobcat to lift the conveyor off the top of the dump truck, unhooked the trailer hooked the conveyor to the back of the truck and backed up to my garage. He then unloaded my coal via conveyor into the bin (with 5' high sides) in my garage. No extra charge for use of equipment. My bulk coal was $250 per ton delivered 75 miles. Now I shure can't complain about that. I gave him a pretty good tip. I hope he stays in business as long as I am heating with coal. I also bought my Hitzer from him. His wife works in their store. They are real nice folks. :up:

djackman

Post by djackman » Thu. Dec. 18, 2008 5:57 pm

arcticcatmatt wrote: 300 a ton bagged? Jesus. If coal was 300/ton, I would not be using it here and my stove would be up for sale.
$270 bulk picked up, $370/ton bagged (Blashack) picked up. I'm NOT knocking their prices, transport onto Long Island isn't cheap.

At $370/ton it's almost break-even point for oil @ $2/gal.

Richard -

Mabye I'll have them try a delivery - worst case dump it on a tarp in the driveway.

djackman

Post by djackman » Thu. Feb. 05, 2009 3:50 am

I have to give Ron from Bethlehem a double-A+ for effort. Showed up today with 2 tons, looked at the bin and said "no problem!". 30 minutes later of jockeying & blocking the truck around to get the box to go up straight just didn't have enough angle to get it into the bin. Even he was suprised - truck sure looked level but soon as the bed went up it tilted a few degrees to the low side. Being the first load off didn't help either, all that weight in the box.

So now I've got 2 tons of nut/pea mix on the front lawn :oops:

Nice evenly sized stuff tho, very clean.

Attachments

coal_truck.jpg
.JPG | 81.4KB | coal_truck.jpg

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Thu. Feb. 05, 2009 7:26 am

Any comments from the neighbors?

syncmaster
Stoker Coal Boiler: harmanVF3000 Coal/oil option
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by syncmaster » Thu. Feb. 05, 2009 8:58 am

djackman wrote:I have to give Ron from Bethlehem a double-A+ for effort. Showed up today with 2 tons, looked at the bin and said "no problem!". 30 minutes later of jockeying & blocking the truck around to get the box to go up straight just didn't have enough angle to get it into the bin. Even he was suprised - truck sure looked level but soon as the bed went up it tilted a few degrees to the low side. Being the first load off didn't help either, all that weight in the box.

So now I've got 2 tons of nut/pea mix on the front lawn :oops:

Nice evenly sized stuff tho, very clean.
Didn't he mention that he has a portable conveyor?
I told him he should build a metal box on the truck and keep it stored in there so when he needs it , he has it available.
I think it is 12ft long.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”