Changing Flue Size

benweishaar

Post by benweishaar » Fri. Mar. 18, 2022 11:05 pm

Hi.

I recently purchase a used Arrow Stratford 75 and am hoping to install in my pole building. I had an old wood burning stove that had an 8" flue. Ceiling height is 14' and approximate distance from top of stove to ceiling support would be roughly 10'. After the ceiling box I have an 8" ID Selkirk S/S chimney approximately 10' tall. Given the work and cost it would take to remove what remains of the existing 8" ID pipe to install a new 6" chimney and stove pipe, I am wondering if I can run 6" ID from top of stove to the ceiling support box where I would put a reducer to go from the 6" single wall to the 8" S/S triple wall. From what I can find, this doesn't seem to be the ideal set up as it slows down draft. So I am wondering if anyone has tried it and what there results were.

Thanks in advance.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Mar. 19, 2022 7:16 am

10' of 6" black pipe isn't that expensive, I would try it. Just pay attention and use your co detector.

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Sat. Mar. 19, 2022 8:34 am

No different than running a 6" stove pipe into an 8" masonry flue. Like W said just run stove pipe to the ceiling support box & it will work just fine.
Jim

waytomany?s

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Mar. 19, 2022 12:27 pm

coalder wrote:
Sat. Mar. 19, 2022 8:34 am
No different than running a 6" stove pipe into an 8" masonry flue. Like W said just run stove pipe to the ceiling support box & it will work just fine.
Jim
If I remember correctly, Jim is a mason, so if he's says that's fine then i would not hesitate to do it. Get yourself warm. :yes:

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Mar. 19, 2022 1:54 pm

8" S/S triple wall may cool your already not so hot coal exhaust a bit too much. This has been mentioned here at other times. I have no real experience though. :)

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Mar. 19, 2022 7:08 pm

By the way B--you're welcome--the guys did real good responding to your situation. Also, welcome to the FORUM. :) Keep us posted.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Mar. 19, 2022 7:39 pm

benweishaar wrote:
Fri. Mar. 18, 2022 11:05 pm
Ceiling height is 14' and approximate distance from top of stove to ceiling support would be roughly 10'. After the ceiling box I have an 8" ID Selkirk S/S chimney approximately 10' tall. Given the work and cost it would take to remove what remains of the existing 8" ID pipe to install a new 6" chimney and stove pipe, I am wondering if I can run 6" ID from top of stove to the ceiling support box where I would put a reducer to go from the 6" single wall to the 8" S/S triple wall.
Is the Selkirk the triple wall??? If so that is not going to help your draft at all. Triple wall uses airflow to cool the flue temp. This is the opposite of double wall insulated which insulates the flue keeping the heat in. The more heat you keep in the flue pipe, the better the draft.

-Don

waytomany?s

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Mar. 19, 2022 8:05 pm

So 10' of 8" triple will cancel heat built up in 10' of 6" single wall?

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Mar. 20, 2022 9:36 am

waytomany?s wrote:
Sat. Mar. 19, 2022 8:05 pm
So 10' of 8" triple will cancel heat built up in 10' of 6" single wall?
I don't really understand your question.

My comment was intended to point out the fact that triple wall pipe is not a good choice for any low flue temperature appliance. The OP already has it in place so I guess the best advice is to run it and see how it works.

My guess is that in warmer weather he will run into draft problems.

-Don

waytomany?s

Post by waytomany?s » Sun. Mar. 20, 2022 9:59 am

StokerDon wrote:
Sun. Mar. 20, 2022 9:36 am
I don't really understand your question.

My comment was intended to point out the fact that triple wall pipe is not a good choice for any low flue temperature appliance. The OP already has it in place so I guess the best advice is to run it and see how it works.

My guess is that in warmer weather he will run into draft problems.

-Don
Sorry, kind of an out loud musing. I can't imagine the triple wall would cool any differently than masonry, but maybe that's not the case. I agree that the only way to know is to try it.

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Mar. 20, 2022 1:21 pm

waytomany?s wrote:
Sun. Mar. 20, 2022 9:59 am
Sorry, kind of an out loud musing. I can't imagine the triple wall would cool any differently than masonry, but maybe that's not the case. I agree that the only way to know is to try it.
A masonry chimney doesn't cool the flue gasses by moving air across a thin metal inside pipe. Triple wall pipe uses this method to cool the flue gas and reduce the minimum clearance to combustibles. It's nothing like a masonry chimney that can just absorb the heat and maintain a draft.

But yah, the easiest thing for the OP is to just try it and see how well it works. Every chimney set up is different.

-Don

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Mon. Mar. 21, 2022 3:44 pm

So why not just stop the air flow between the pipe layers?

waytomany?s

Post by waytomany?s » Mon. Mar. 21, 2022 8:54 pm

Lightning wrote:
Mon. Mar. 21, 2022 3:44 pm
Doh! :baby:

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Tue. Mar. 22, 2022 7:48 pm

Lightning wrote:
Mon. Mar. 21, 2022 3:44 pm
I'm no historian but I'm pretty sure that kind of thinking is what started the Darwin Awards. :lol:

Removing the hot air from the pipe layers is what allows the outside of the pipe to be close to combustibles. If you stop that airflow, you have nothing to insulate the outer layer from the hot inner layer. This could easily start a fire, if you were burning wood.

It might work with coal, I don't know?

-Don

waytomany?s

Post by waytomany?s » Tue. Mar. 22, 2022 8:56 pm

StokerDon wrote:
Tue. Mar. 22, 2022 7:48 pm
I'm no historian but I'm pretty sure that kind of thinking is what started the Darwin Awards. :lol:

Removing the hot air from the pipe layers is what allows the outside of the pipe to be close to combustibles. If you stop that airflow, you have nothing to insulate the outer layer from the hot inner layer. This could easily start a fire, if you were burning wood.

It might work with coal, I don't know?

-Don
How is triple wall set up? Air gap between both layers or insulation first layer, air gap second layer? Someone post a pic so we can figure this out. Right side up preferably, I have vertigo.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”