old houses, interior chimney jog

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Fri. Mar. 11, 2022 6:53 pm

Yes, our house was built 1890, it has the jog in the chimney in the attic to center it on the peak. Goes all the way to the basement floor. The other chimney, now removed, was built right on the second floor hallway floor and up thru the attic, i believe for just heating and/or cooking on the second floor, since it was 2 apts. and the kitchen was just behind the chimney with the hook up in the wall.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Mar. 12, 2022 9:41 am

My 1891 Queen Ann has the attic angled chimney. The house was originally a post and beam two bed rm "English Cottage" built in 1866, or what we would call a "Colonial" today.

When they extended the roof to 12 over 12 pitch the chimney had to be extended and then angle to go through the peak, which was common to reduce wind turbulence effects on draft. Otherwise, it's enclosed in walls for the first and second floors down to the basement for the "Octopus" convection type coal furnace.

Chimney also had two thimbles, each into a different room on the first floor, of which I'm using one for the GW #6.

Paul

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Tue. Mar. 15, 2022 10:53 pm

The goal was to go through the peak, or close to it generally.

1. You could lay faster sloppier joints in the attic.
2. You could use cheaper, softer brick when you lay indoors which meant go high before you go out.
3. I was both an aesthetic and functional approach to reducing roof leaks by exiting at the peak.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Mon. Mar. 28, 2022 5:38 am

I checked with Scotty.... no pictures of the two chimneys coming together. It was too long ago they got changed. One thing though..... I thought he has said it was built in the late 1800's. It in fact was built in 1822.... 200 years old this year! The house was built on ledge and has a hand laid rock foundation with big granite blocks above ground. About 5 to 6 feet of headroom in the cellar and both chimneys go to the ledge floor.

On a side note..... I have seen two exterior chimneys with jogs. I know the house was torn down on one , but maybe this summer I can grab a pic of the one still standing.

gardener

Post by gardener » Mon. Mar. 28, 2022 9:28 am

Saw this one advertised, 1920s tudor style with lots of nice wood work and floors.
The two chimneys jog toward each other and merge in the attic and exit out the center of the roof at the peak/ridge, hard to make out the merge in the photo.
Compared the latest Google map photos to it, looks like sometime in the past two years they removed the top of the chimney and extended the roof over this remaining interior portion.
merged_chimneys.png
.PNG | 871.1KB | merged_chimneys.png

franpipeman
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm 520 stoker fitzgibbons pressure vessel
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman, russo
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: alpine propane condensing boiler radiant floor

Post by franpipeman » Sat. Apr. 02, 2022 8:11 am

russian chimney i was considering it .....

https://www.motherearthnews.com/sustainable-livin ... z82sozgoe/

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Sat. Apr. 02, 2022 11:21 am

franpipeman wrote:
Sat. Apr. 02, 2022 8:11 am
These were being promoted here 30 or 40 years ago, though I only knew one family that built one. Slow to heat up and slow to cool, didn't seem practical for a climate where it is 20 below zero one day with the wind blowing, and 20 above and calm the next day. Maybe OK for a super-insulated house, or underground/earth-sheltered house described in the series of articles. For "normal" houses I suppose this could provide a constant base level of heat, but still would need a supplemental (coal :D ) stove to cope with the cold times.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Apr. 02, 2022 12:01 pm

Correct. For new construction generally for obvious reasons.

Talk about your chimney jogs. 😉

Some with the right building and decent trades skills could pull this off possibly but it would be a structural undertaking.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Apr. 03, 2022 9:07 am

I have been to a house in my area that was built with a huge Russian hearth. It is 3 stories high and uses outside combustion air. There is no arguing that the fuel consumption is very low for the size of the house.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Apr. 03, 2022 11:03 am

rberq wrote:
Sat. Apr. 02, 2022 11:21 am
These were being promoted here 30 or 40 years ago, though I only knew one family that built one.
I was looking into these a few years ago while I was playing with Rocket Stoves and looking at Rocket Mass Heaters. I came to the conclusion that this type of thermal mass design became obsolete decades ago when we figured out how to store and distribute heat with water. :o

I've been a coal stoker boiler fan ever since. :lol:

-Don

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Apr. 03, 2022 3:31 pm

franpipeman wrote:
Sat. Apr. 02, 2022 8:11 am

This is suppose to be "Russian"? Then why is there a Chevy Bow-Tie in the middle of it? I think it's in Smokey Yunicks house, or Bill Jenkins.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”