Stove to chimney connection

DanInMAE
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite, Pea/Nut coal

Post by DanInMAE » Sun. Dec. 05, 2021 10:11 pm

I’m running Selkirk double wall all the way from my VC Vigilant to an existing chimney into the ceiling. Any ideas as to what I can use to connect these together? I’ve got the pipe going In the proper direction according to the stickers on the pipe. Can I just bend male end in on the 45 degree below and insert into the chimney adapter and then fixate with screws? Pics attached, any help would be greatly appreciated! Image

Attachments

ADA35BE5-4A8F-4D48-BA71-23F783AA90A5.jpeg
.JPEG | 655KB | ADA35BE5-4A8F-4D48-BA71-23F783AA90A5.jpeg
40BFF2E3-B2BF-4830-88E3-42A2D871196D.jpeg
.JPEG | 782KB | 40BFF2E3-B2BF-4830-88E3-42A2D871196D.jpeg

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Dec. 06, 2021 6:05 am

D, you're doin fine--YEP, just do what your doin!! :)

DanInMAE

Post by DanInMAE » Mon. Dec. 06, 2021 9:08 am

Ok, so I can basically just bend some of the male end in with a pair of pliers and screw it in with some self tappers? I just wanted to make sure I was in the right ballpark

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Dec. 06, 2021 11:01 am

Its been years since I did the same or similar connection. Your idea might work fine but it might be tough to bend that double steel, Im unsure. I think they sell some overpriced adapter also.

In my pic it wont show exactly what i did. But I put the steel around it and put the clamp on and tightened it around the 2 pipes, then screwed it to each pipe, then wrapped with aluminum tape. the tape isnt for strength, its just to stop air gaps. I use the tape a lot here. It may not be necessary. Link is for the part I used and I added another clamp. https://www.menards.com/main/heating-cooling/vent ... 32&ipos=15

Attachments

IMG_8781.JPG
.JPG | 238.3KB | IMG_8781.JPG

DanInMAE

Post by DanInMAE » Mon. Dec. 06, 2021 12:20 pm

I have a piece of telescoping pipe that came with a finishing band. It's maybe 3in or so wide, but it is supposedly made to go over where two crimped ends meet. I guess I'm just more worried about exhaust getting out and smoke seepage into the house. I have a lot of experience with pellet stove systems, but this is my first year/experience with a coal stove. I know I don't need to seal up the chimney joints with tape, to allow for airflow into the stove pipe right? So, my question is would this band be okay to use? I test fitted it together and it seemed like there was a little bit of space with that finishing band on. I've attached a screenshot from the Selkirk catalog to show what it looks like

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Mon. Dec. 06, 2021 3:09 pm

Most people dont use the tape. i just did it because I had the tape and I usually do that in places that are not in my living space. Its one less thing to worry about then.

I cant answer your question about the band as I dont know for sure.

DanInMAE

Post by DanInMAE » Mon. Dec. 06, 2021 6:02 pm

The chimney connector piece at the ceiling there is a single wall connector, would there be any issue connecting that with my double wall set up? It’s an old chimney, with asbestos up and down it, but looks to be at least double wall if not triple wall from what I’ve seen. I’m trying not to get too squirrelly with the chimney, just want to run the coal stove as safely as possible. A completely new chimney wasn’t really in the cards. Would a Through-The-Wall set up work if I can find space? The more I start to work on this, the more worrisome it seems to become. I’m hoping I’m just overthinking everything

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Mon. Dec. 06, 2021 6:24 pm

A single wall pipe from the stove to the chimney is fine too. I can see you have clearance issues, I think, so you would need tin between the pipe and wall. Or you can cut an 8" pipe lengthwise in half and use a half for a heat shield and attach it with screws.

If you can get a good solid connection with what you have thats good too. 3 screws at each connection. The companies that make the double wall pipes should have made them fit into regular pipes but then they wouldnt be able to sell adapters. Greed as usual. They are well made though.

The one i pictured is a single wall T-pipe attached to a double wall pipe similar to yours.

DanInMAE

Post by DanInMAE » Mon. Dec. 06, 2021 6:47 pm

I just wrangled everything together. I used a single wall connector to mate the double wall elbow to the ceiling piece. I do have some clearance issue, hence me using double wall pipe from the stove to to the chimney. The backside of the pipe where it meets the ceiling is 5.25in from the wall, not the 6in I should have. Should I attach a piece of shielding to the double wall pipe? I’ve attached some pictures, not finished by any means. I need to do a little sealing it seems. Thanks for all the feedback so far

Attachments

718E772F-3664-4816-9A99-641E90FE8C26.jpeg
.JPEG | 674KB | 718E772F-3664-4816-9A99-641E90FE8C26.jpeg
F842D180-A266-4AB6-BCF5-9463637FD280.jpeg
.JPEG | 602KB | F842D180-A266-4AB6-BCF5-9463637FD280.jpeg

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Mon. Dec. 06, 2021 7:46 pm

What kind of material is the white wall made out of? The clearance stuff, I am unsure about the code as its going to be different in some areas than here. If it were here, i'd just hang some tin down by the close pipes for added safety. I dont think that changes the legal clearance if thats an issue there.

The only way it will ever cause a problem is if the bottom door on the stove is left open and forgotten about, or the air inlet under the grate got stuck wide open. Coal will not get that pipe very hot under normal burning conditions unlike wood. Most of us can hold onto our single wall pipes a couple feet above the stove much of the time.

DanInMAE

Post by DanInMAE » Mon. Dec. 06, 2021 8:56 pm

The white wall is some sort of fake brick looking material. Not exactly sure. I’ve got the stove about 17-18in off the wall which I think is well within manufacturer recommendation for the Vigilant with a heat shield on the back. I was more worried about the piping, but after reading the suggestions I’m feeling way better about the set up. I figure the double wall with the extra piece of shield at the top I should be good. I don’t plan on run lining the stove hot and will definitely be vigilant (hah) about keeping potential air intake inlets closed. Can’t thank everyone enough for their input. I’m feeling way better than I was earlier today.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Dec. 07, 2021 6:42 am

You're doin good D. Bout time to light the old girl up, ya think???????? :) Make sure ya got your CO detectors in place.

Holdencoal

Post by Holdencoal » Tue. Dec. 07, 2021 7:13 am

It appears your using duravent double wall pipe. They make a few adapters for this issue.

Attachments

113031F8-9E5F-4800-A221-EB3572A7F485.jpeg
.JPEG | 141KB | 113031F8-9E5F-4800-A221-EB3572A7F485.jpeg

DanInMAE

Post by DanInMAE » Tue. Dec. 07, 2021 8:00 am

freetown fred wrote:
Tue. Dec. 07, 2021 6:42 am
You're doin good D. Bout time to light the old girl up, ya think???????? :) Make sure ya got your CO detectors in place.
lol, you got it Fred. It's defintely late in the season for my location, but it was a chore getting the chimney inspected and then getting double wall pipe on order, but we'll be lighting her up this weekend when I can be around all day if any issues arise. I have a CO detector on the main level on the house and one in each of my kids rooms, just in case. I definitely respect CO as much as I can.
Holdencoal wrote:
Tue. Dec. 07, 2021 7:13 am
It appears your using duravent double wall pipe. They make a few adapters for this issue.
I'm using Selkirk brand pipe, but I did grab a Duravent single wall connector for the ceiling and just used that to connect my double wall Selkirk to the ceiling adapter that was already in place. I know it's not ideal, but everything fits snug and i'll be adding a piece of shielding right at the top most piece for a little added protection.

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Tue. Dec. 07, 2021 8:01 am

Glad its working out. Sometimes we all over think things and then worry.

I think I did use one of the adapters the 1st time I hooked up my double wall which was on a different chimney. I cant remember why I didnt use it the 2nd time. Too many years ago to remember. I use my double wall pipe thru my wall, thru an 8" chimney pipe for wall protection. My insurance man loved that. Its way overkill.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”