Ovalizing SS chimney liner

WESOman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: WESO HSK125C
Other Heating: Oil-fired hot water boiler

Post by WESOman » Tue. Nov. 30, 2021 1:44 pm

My old house has an unlined brick chimney that is three stories high. The chimney has not been used in years and I capped off the top years ago to stop rain entrance. I had planned to install a 6"" flexible SS liner this year to hook up the WESO stove I already have in the first floor parlor. Alas, my plans got sidelined by other more pressing projects. My plan is now for next year. I have one problem which seems to only be fixed by pulling the liner up from the bottom. The existing flue looks like about 12"x14", so space is not a problem but when the chimney gets up into the attic it narrows in toward the outside wall as it becomes what appears to be about a 4"-5" wide x 30"-36" long opening at the top of the chimney. This means I have to ovalize the entire liner and pull down or ovalize the top 4'-6' and pull up from the bottom. It seems like the flue has plenty of room so binding should not be a big problem. Ovalizing lessens the cross-section area to some degree so I have to decide if I should splice in a length of larger diameter liner for the ovalized portion at the top. Secondly, I'm assuming I should buy an insulated liner as it seems it would take a lot of pour-in insulation with this flue at this height. Any thoughts?

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Nov. 30, 2021 3:41 pm

Are you sure you need the liner at all? What do you think about trying it without one? Sounds like you have an interior chimney? Drafting shouldn't be a problem..

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Nov. 30, 2021 6:37 pm

Ditto on that W. :)

WESOman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: WESO HSK125C
Other Heating: Oil-fired hot water boiler

Post by WESOman » Wed. Dec. 01, 2021 8:57 am

Lightning wrote:
Tue. Nov. 30, 2021 3:41 pm
Are you sure you need the liner at all? What do you think about trying it without one? Sounds like you have an interior chimney? Drafting shouldn't be a problem..
I'm not worried about draft, based on the chimney height above the stove but it is a rather large flue opening. I have a 100+ year old house with an unlined chimney, so the liner is safety related. No place for heat to pass through any missing mortar openings or have any future brick or mortar pieces fall and partially clog the flue. The chimney is built into the house but one side of the flue is the outer wall of the house. I have accepted the expense of getting a liner and the issue of installing it. The narrowing at the top is the part I have questions about, along with preferable insulation options. With the possibility of wrapping a liner, buying a double wall pre-insulated liner or pour-in insulation, the cost and ease of installation vary. I would not be inclined to use a wet mix pour-in insulation because it would severely hamper any future liner replacement. Sealing the bottom of the flue and pouring in dry vermiculite eliminates that problem but still most likely leaves the liner touching the brick on one side or the other all the way up the chimney. That leaves self wrapping or double wall pre-insulated. At my age, I figure this is a one time deal, so I may as well try to do it right. But only so right that it doesn't wipe out the financial benefits of using a stove. I appreciate the feedback.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”