masonry chimney design

lightweight

Post by lightweight » Sun. Oct. 17, 2021 9:50 pm

longtime listener, first time caller

burned wood for years, learned about coal and started reading on here; we moved, and are beginning to look for a new house, either two story, or a one story with a basement; i know i want a chimney to burn coal with that is situated on the interior of the house and terminates at the peak of the roof; there are some used houses from the 1950s-60s around here that have interior masonry chimneys that serve built in fireplaces, so coal insert? but i prefer free standing stove; we walked and talked with sales people at new model homes, but they don't offer masonry chimneys; found two custom home builders that say they can do masonry chimneys, but both said it had been years since they had a request for one, i suspect those were for open fireplaces; meeting with one of the builders this week to discuss, i think i need to be prepared to explain the sort of chimney i envision; i have done a few internet searches for photos of a chimney with thimbles for free standing stoves, but have not found any that detail where the thimbles are supposed to be located; the impression i had have is a clean out port at the bottom, a thimble near the ceiling of the lower level, and one more thimble near the ceiling of the upper level, then no more holes until the top, where the cleanout and one thimble are plugged while the chimney is used; all the pictures i have found show one thimble and no cleanout port; what should it be? how do you clean out the ash if no clean out port? depending on where i located the stove, if only one thimble per chimney, would need two chimneys to serve both levels of the house?

thx n'advance

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Oct. 18, 2021 10:10 am

Where the hell is Jack when we need him???? LOL

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Mon. Oct. 18, 2021 12:49 pm

L put cleanout near bottom of chimney .The thimble i believe code wise is supposed to be 3 feet from your ceiling .Do this Go to Your Nearest Brick yard .Ask for referral of # masons not Home Builders .Thats Three Masons .Meet with the masons Ask To See There Work .Do It Now Most Good Masons are real busy as Winter Approaches .P M me if i can help you .jack

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”