Putting 6" pipe into existing 8"

gertler
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Weso HSK 125, Hitzer 82

Post by gertler » Tue. Mar. 16, 2021 5:05 pm

I'm new to this forum(actually I'm new to forums in general) so I'm not sure if this has been addressed somewhere else on here but I have a question.
I'm wanting to install a single wall 6" stainless pipe up a portion of my existing 8" insulated chimney. I was wondering what kind of insulation to use to further insulate it and fill in that 1" air space. In the past I used that crap you pour in that you buy at greenhouse places but wasn't impressed as it compacted down over time and left top half uninsulated and didn't seem to have a very good R value. So this time around I was thinking of using some ceramic fiber insulation. Any thoughts? Safe enough for the heat?
I've heated with a hitzler stove for nearly 23 years as my only heat source. I recently got the bug for a challenge of a smaller more efficient kind of stove and was lucky enough to find a Weso 125 and restored it a bit. My big old hitzler seemed to need a bigger chimney and now this little Weso has a 6" outlet. So years ago I had installed a double wall 8" to an insulated 8" through the roof. So I got some 6" double wall for in the house but didn't want to change out the insulated portion up through the roof. So I was thinking I'll stick a 6" stainless single wall through there wrapped in insulation. Has anyone tried this? Any suggestions would be welcome.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Tue. Mar. 16, 2021 5:10 pm

Fiberfrax could work.

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Tue. Mar. 16, 2021 6:42 pm

1 1/4 inch stove gasket rope, about 20 feet. Tie it off on the end of pipe, put pipe in other pipe, wrap rope around as you push it in with a stick.

Attachments

stove - 15.jpg
.JPG | 456.1KB | stove - 15.jpg
stove - 16.jpg
.JPG | 546.8KB | stove - 16.jpg

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Tue. Mar. 16, 2021 11:30 pm

Probably I'm missing something but wouldn't it be easier to use a 6x8 reducer?

Mike

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Mar. 17, 2021 1:26 am

A big +1 on that P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Mar. 17, 2021 9:41 am

As always there is more than one way...where can this reducer be had?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Mar. 17, 2021 10:26 am

https://www.northlineexpress.com/heatfab-8-male-t ... -5235.html

You can get them with different crimp styles. Mine has an 8" female, which allowed me to run some 8" pipe well into the thimble.

gertler
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Weso HSK 125, Hitzer 82

Post by gertler » Wed. Mar. 17, 2021 11:44 pm

Thanks for the rope trick. I'll consider that. But I have about 8' worth of chimney to go up through. And I did buy a reducer(actually it's an increaser from my new 6" to the existing 8"). But I didn't want to leave the 6" opening up to 8" before exiting the roof. I'd like to keep it 6" the whole way. Thus the desire to slide a single wall through that 8" portion. One thing I've learned over the years was how important an insulated chimney is! My old 8" complete double wall into the insulated portion through the roof in the center of the house coming out right at the peak I put in 10 years ago was one of the best investments yet. Draft was the best I ever had and have been able to dial the stove completely down in the spring to where it just smolders with even wet wood and have never had any significant creosote build up. So I'd really like to keep those gases hot and get a great draft thinking this will pull the air through a smaller and more difficult grate system.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”