2 stoves one chimney dilemma

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Thu. Feb. 04, 2021 10:18 pm

So I want to put a cook stove in the kitchen and the coal furnace in the basement is using the chimney that runs through the kitchen. If they are both hooked to that chimney and burning at the same time no harm, right? Lol.

I know it’s wrong but it wouldn’t take much to convince me to do it anyway. I like livin on the edge. Hey I just got vaccinated today!

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Feb. 04, 2021 10:29 pm

Be sure to report that side effect of the vaccine of derring-do.

The Victorians did it that way all the time. If the chimney size can handle the combined BTU it will work but might be against code. Hot water heaters and oil burners are piped into the same 8 inch chimney all the time, even oil fired hot water heaters.

Just be aware that if cook tops are left open in a cold stove it can kill draft to the furnace below. Be sure to close the stove damper.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Thu. Feb. 04, 2021 11:32 pm

Yeh when I moved in the water heater and furnace were hooked into the chimney. Heck it’s got 4 holes in it.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”