Furnace plenum banging

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Tue. Dec. 29, 2020 7:15 pm

I’m obviously not an hvac guy but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.

I recently hooked up a Clayton coal furnace to my ductwork. I don’t have a furnace, just left over parts. The plenum or manifold or whatever you call it, from the old furnace, was too tall to fit in between my floor joists and the Clayton. I have also been hacking on it and pulling parts and bits of sheet metal off it for the last ten years. There’s barely anything that resembles a furnace anymore.

I got a 10” high by 24” wide x 48” sheet metal box (can’t remember what menards calls it) and I put it on the Clayton then plumbed all the ductwork to it. Works great. Only thing is when the blower kicks on it sounds like someone hits a piece of sheet metal with a ball peen hammer.

I can probably get used to it but my dog can’t. So I thought I’d pick your brains before I sick mine on the matter. Mine tends to go about things quite haphazardly and the results are hit or miss. Hence this post.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Tue. Dec. 29, 2020 7:45 pm

Stand next to it and wait for the fan to kick on, watch carefully and you’ll see see where the plenum sides are pushing out making the banging sound

It’s probably on the 48” side

You can run a piece of “s” lock diagonally across it ( drill and screw it to the plenum ) it may be enough to stop it or it might take a couple pieces on that and the opposite side

Good luck

fig
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Tue. Dec. 29, 2020 7:56 pm

Thanks Steve. I knew there was a better solution. I was about to screw a loop of bailing wire to the top of it and run it to the floor joist then twist it tight with a punch. I’ve never heard of “S” lock. I’ll pick some up.

It is the top side expanding. The bottom is resting on the 12” outlet from the Clayton shroud. It’s pretty tight on that side.

I’m already used to it but the dog goes nuts at night every time it kicks on. I finally had to put myself into a sugar induced coma to get some uninterrupted sleep.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Tue. Dec. 29, 2020 8:50 pm

if you have access to a sheet metal brake, put a x crease in it to make it rigid.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about

Post by KingCoal » Tue. Dec. 29, 2020 8:52 pm

You have seen “s” lock look at your rectangle duct work

You have vertical edges that join and horizontal edges that join, the horizontals are joined with “s” lock

You can get some off the shelf at Menards

fig

Post by fig » Wed. Dec. 30, 2020 8:03 am

Oh yeh. Gotcha. It does have a x crease on each side. It’s just really light gauge but all I could come up with at the time. I actually have s lock. I just didn’t know that’s what it’s called. Had a couple pieces left over I was going to return. Now I don’t have to make a trip to town. Hope I can get my drill between the floor joists and the top of the sheet metal.

I have a right angle drill attachment somewhere I got about 30 years ago. I’ll have to dig around and see if it will work.

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Dec. 30, 2020 7:36 pm

fig, lay your pieces down in the open and drill them big enough for an 1 1/2” sheet metal screw to drop right thru

Put one corner to corner on the top and fasten it down

Put the second one going the opposite direction and going right up over the first. Try to get a screw as close to the place they cross as you can ( doesn’t have to be thru both ) and you will create a lot of tension in the metal and it probably won’t flex anymore

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Mon. Jan. 11, 2021 3:11 pm

Take a big screwdriver, press hard and pull it across the sheet metal thats banging do it again on the other side to make an "X" from corner to corner.

fig

Post by fig » Mon. Jan. 11, 2021 5:49 pm

Thanks for the tip. Haven’t seen ya in a while. Welcome back.

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Mon. Jan. 11, 2021 7:22 pm

Thanks, have not been on much the last few years.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”