Manometer install parts list

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Dec. 17, 2020 10:26 pm

Ok gang...not trying to reinvent the wheel here as there are already lots of options and suggestions and questions with regard to manometer installations on the “manometer install” thread.

Since my wife was firm on not wanting to look at wires and hoses on our hearth wall that has forced me to stop preparing for what I had previously researched and try to think of ways to satisfy both of us. I may or may not have come up with a slightly altered parts list that many here suggest.

Credit where credit is due:

Member Sunny Boy (Paul) and some others from older and various threads have contributed to the “manometer install”(thread) parts list.

I’m going to go ahead and show those parts again, as well as a slight variant on that parts list ... with one caveat ... I have yet to install my version to confirm it will work. If not, it’s just a matter of finding some different hose.

So, first I’ll show pictures of both parts lists, and then hopefully I can get some pictures of my install as I go along. If that goes well, I’ll start a new thread with some manometer/chimney experiments to hopefully show the draft changes from experimenting with some minor chimney alterations.

Below is pictures of the parts for the method of install by member Sunny Boy and others here. Again, nothing new. Just trying to consolidate some information for those reading and searching the forum into the future.

Again, my wife isn’t wanting to look at the hose on the hearth wall that came with the Dwyer manometer, a gray colored hose, that will stick out like a sore thumb on a rock wall with black colored concrete mortar. I am going to try and not use that factory gray and red striped hose.

2B6F5B71-06F3-45E6-B3BA-ED7B8ECEA440.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.3MB | 2B6F5B71-06F3-45E6-B3BA-ED7B8ECEA440.jpeg

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Dec. 17, 2020 10:41 pm

Below is the parts list for one method of installation. This method does not require additional fittings in the pipe to hold the brake line. With this method you simply dril a hole and push in the brake line.
0B857809-4ADF-4380-9637-90AFCB5654EE.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.1MB | 0B857809-4ADF-4380-9637-90AFCB5654EE.jpeg
I bought the 3/16” I.D. black fuel line hose at Gillman’s Hardware (Do It Best) as well as the clear 1/8” I.D. vinyl hose.

- 3/8” O.D. x 3/16” I.D. fuel line (year Dec. 2020) $1.10 per foot.

- 3/16” O.D. x 1/8” I.D. vinyl hose $.15 per foot.

If by chance the black fuel line hose doesn’t have enough heat resistance, then check with your local NAPA for 3/16” I.D. Vacuum/washer fluid hose as it too has quite the heat resistance.

- also not pictured above you will need go to an auto parts store and get a length of your choice of 3/16” metal brake line. It comes in 1 foot lengths up to several feet. Just ask for 3/16” brake line by whatever length you think you need. I bought a one foot section and a 20” section just in case.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Dec. 17, 2020 10:51 pm

Now for a similar method with a slight alteration of parts...smaller hoses and smaller probe material.

Sorry the pictures are sideways. (Forum turns them sideways for some reason or another.) Hopefully you can see the parts names and numbers.
ADD022D6-415C-4C80-B5E6-2F4A0FA36DDA.jpeg
.JPEG | 705KB | ADD022D6-415C-4C80-B5E6-2F4A0FA36DDA.jpeg
Notice the hard black tubing does offer heat resistance.
Last edited by Hoytman on Fri. Dec. 18, 2020 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Dec. 17, 2020 11:07 pm

Not real clear, but the opening of the manometer hose connection in the top of the manometer is terribly close to 1/16” I.D.and the 1/8” I.D. vinyl hose fits perfectly over the top.

The copper will be the manometer probe fitting into the stove pipe. If you’re going to install the probe into the stove the brake line is likely the better choice. You can always try the smaller copper probe into o the stove and if it’s damaged, then you can always drill a bigger hole and use the brake line.Some places have 1/8” brake line, but I’ve yet to find any locally.

The 5/32” black hose fits tightly over the copper and the black fits very snugly into the clear vinyl hose that replaces the factory gray hose that came with the manometer.

NOTE:
The clear vinyl hose has very little heat resistance so you’ll have to overcome that by keeping it further from the heat.

I am using the vinyl to be less visible on the wall and up the wood trim along the hearth wall.

The only advantage to what I am doing by using smaller hoses is obviously I can get away with drilling smaller holes in my stove pipe or stove. I can always step up to the bigger hoses and brake line should this not work out. It just gives people an alternative choice of what to use and how to install it. Again, it’s not reinventing the wheel.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Dec. 17, 2020 11:13 pm

I will likely have to take a dremil with a cutting wheel on it and cut the tip of the copper hose on an angle to help it insert into the hard (slightly more firm than rubber hose) black hose. It should easily fit snugly into the black hose.

Later I will take some pictures of the install.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Dec. 17, 2020 11:37 pm

Turn your phone to "landscape" (sideways) position when you take pictures. That will fix the orientation when they are uploaded..

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Dec. 18, 2020 2:24 am

Lightning wrote:
Thu. Dec. 17, 2020 11:37 pm
Turn your phone to "landscape" (sideways) position when you take pictures. That will fix the orientation when they are uploaded..
Already aware of what you suggested...all of these were taken as you said, with the phone straight up. Posted a bunch the other night with the phone in its side and nearly all of them ended up the same way. It’s the forum, not the phone or the operator. I checked...this evening...in this thread...on purpose. Several people have complained about the issue.

I’ll offer some proof...all pictures taken tonight were taken with the phone pointing straight up as you guessed, but this time I took them that way on purpose. All photo’s ended up on their sides except for the picture above of my hearth wall with my hand in the photo.

If the phone orientation had anything to do with it, then that photo as well should have been flipped on its side. Instead, it is oriented just as it was in my phone screen when the picture was taken.

The other night, all pictures were taken in landscape mode and the photos varied on the website. Some were displayed correctly, while others were not. It’s strange!!!

Perhaps a moderator will see this and fix them all but the one.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Fri. Dec. 18, 2020 6:35 am

If you edited any of those pictures that were taken in portrait position then they seem to be in the right orientation when uploaded.. I always hold my phone in landscape position and the pics always seem to upload in the right orientation :)

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Dec. 18, 2020 9:08 am

No editing...raw pictures. I have a strong habit of turning my phone on it’s side for photos and/or video. Last night was an exception and a test because I frustrated photos from a different post were varied, some correct, some not, so I thought I’d try something different. All on their side except for one and it too was taken with the phone vertical. Not sure why that one photo should be oriented differently.

Not long ago I had to have a moderator flip some photos that were taken with the phone on it’s side, how I normally take them. Oh well!!!

I get the same thing when phone is on it’s side. Generally the are positioned correctly, them a couple will flip on their sides. Doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason for the flipping.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Fri. Dec. 18, 2020 5:44 pm

Just piece of brake hose and fitting and the rubber tubing with the kit is really all you need. unless you really get fancy with it. LOL

There's a lot of really nice installs in the original Manometer Install Thread.

Manometer Install

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Dec. 20, 2020 10:16 pm

Hey Lee,
More on flipping pictures here..
Hitzer 50-93 Secondary Combustion Install

I think I figured out why this keeps happening.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Dec. 21, 2020 9:05 am

Billy, did ya get the damn mano installed yet???????????????????????????????????? Lots less complicated then gettin pix right :lol:

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Dec. 21, 2020 12:59 pm

Nope...and yep. 😂😂
Got side tracked again with Christmas stuff.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Mon. Dec. 21, 2020 2:38 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Sun. Dec. 20, 2020 10:16 pm
Hey Lee,
More on flipping pictures here..
Hitzer 50-93 Secondary Combustion Install

I think I figured out why this keeps happening.
Yep.. Hold in landscape position with the bottom of the phone to the right.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Dec. 21, 2020 2:50 pm

That’s crazy huh??? Go figure!! LOL!!

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”