Metal walls for coal bin

Ryan.williams

Post by Ryan.williams » Sat. Oct. 31, 2020 3:49 pm

Hello everyone,

I am building an 8' x 4' x 3 1/2' tall coal bin. I have the frame all assembled. I'm getting ready to put in the flooring and side walls. I made a run to the local lowes today and was blown away at the price of lumber currently. I was wondering if instead of plywood for the walls, I could use corrugated metal. I have quite a bit of it laying around and could even double up the walls if that would help the strength of it. The flooring will still be 1 inch plywood as I already have it. It would be just the inside walls. I could reinforce them with more studs if needed as well. For reference this bin will be holding 2 tons of rice coal. Any thoughts/input appreciated.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Oct. 31, 2020 4:13 pm

I would double the corrugated on the walls & call it done!!! :) If ya see any buldging---put some more 2X's up.You're puttin the metal on the inside--yes????????????????????????

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Oct. 31, 2020 4:50 pm

The studs should be the other way or If you are going to leave it like that get 3 cheap ratchet straps. Eyebolts on each of the six center studs on either side middle height. The ratchet straps are easily removable so they aren't in your way when it's getting empty. Put the plywood or corrugated steel on the inside so it's wood structure taking the weight and not screws. Of course do that before you put the eyebolts in.

Bins typically break at the bottom and I have seen more of them break than most anyone. Screws typically rust out on the bottom and little bit of wood rot is all you need. If the walls are inside you aren't depending on the screws. Make sure you have lip on the bottom between the studs for it to go against.

A bin that size will fit 3 ton or a little less.

Ryan.williams

Post by Ryan.williams » Sat. Oct. 31, 2020 5:00 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Sat. Oct. 31, 2020 4:13 pm
I would double the corrugated on the walls & call it done!!! :) If ya see any buldging---put some more 2X's up.You're puttin the metal on the inside--yes????????????????????????
Yessir it would be going on the inside
Richard S. wrote:
Sat. Oct. 31, 2020 4:50 pm
The studs should be the other way or If you are going to leave it like that get 3 cheap ratchet straps. Eyebolts on each of the six center studs on either side middle height. The ratchet straps are easily removable so they aren't in your way when it's getting empty. Put the plywood or corrugated steel on the inside so it's wood structure taking the weight and not screws. Of course do that before you put the eyebolts in.

Bins typically break at the bottom and I have seen more of them break than most anyone. Screws typically rust out on the bottom and little bit of wood rot is all you need. If the walls are inside you aren't depending on the screws. Make sure you have lip on the bottom between the studs for it to go against.

A bin that size will fit 3 ton or a little less.
Yes, it should fit roughly 2.8 tons. Only need to fit 2 though but some room to spare if needed. So the metal would be going on the inside. Should I double it up for thickness and strength? The bottom is going to be 1" plywood. I could even put metal on that so it doesn't rot out. Would more studs negate the need for ratchet straps? I was thinking I could put some studs laterally to help reinforce the steel.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Nov. 01, 2020 1:45 pm

Seems it may be necessary to be clear that corrugated tin shall run with long side horizontal...
Those studs need done better...what Richard said...they fail at the bottom.
No metal on the bottom, coal is corrosive and attacks metal.
Keep in mind that wet coal can freeze and make mayhem. Drain holes in floor and buried 4 in. perforated air pipes allow air throughout to speed drying.

shoman70
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ds 1600
Coal Size/Type: nut coal

Post by shoman70 » Sun. Nov. 15, 2020 7:07 pm

3 ton powder coated coal bin made two weeks ago. So far so good!
coalbin2.jpg
.JPG | 16.5KB | coalbin2.jpg
coalbin3.jpg
.JPG | 14.3KB | coalbin3.jpg

Soccer918843

Post by Soccer918843 » Mon. Jun. 28, 2021 9:08 pm

How do u like this? What’s the a lot cut out on the bottom how’s it work being that close to the floor? Thanks

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”