Grain auger conversion.

Frank F

Post by Frank F » Mon. Oct. 26, 2020 9:19 am

Qtown1835 wrote:
Mon. Oct. 26, 2020 7:49 am
How do you clear the pan if you get a jam? Maybe consider opening the top of the pan where the auger feeds thru. That way if the auger jams you can just drop the pan without messing with the auger?

**NVM i see how the pan is connected. Looks good. Are you planning on manually turning auger on or will you have it timed?
Initially I'll have a manual switch. But once I get an idea of how often it fills and how long it takes to clear I'll set a timer. I just need to ensure the auger always has ash in it, so it doesn't mess with the draft.

I am definitely worried about jams once it's automated. So in the beginning both the feed auger and the Ash auger will be turned on manually to ensure they are working without issues. Then I'll work the automation.

Frank F

Post by Frank F » Mon. Nov. 02, 2020 7:12 pm

So far she is working.

Attachments

.MP4 | 71.9MB | VID_20201101_110211296.mp4

Frank F

Post by Frank F » Mon. Nov. 02, 2020 7:13 pm

Ash removal.

Attachments

.MP4 | 41MB | VID_20201102_185500232.mp4

Toddburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983/ Hitzer 55
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite/pea
Other Heating: Heat pump/forced air

Post by Toddburn » Mon. Nov. 02, 2020 7:27 pm

Real nice Frank. Eeeeeasy street!

Frank F

Post by Frank F » Mon. Nov. 02, 2020 7:37 pm

Toddburn wrote:
Mon. Nov. 02, 2020 7:27 pm
Real nice Frank. Eeeeeasy street!
Haha, hope so. Thanks.

Frank F

Post by Frank F » Sat. Feb. 06, 2021 7:59 pm

Update:!

So the feed auger is working great. No issues at all so far, but I am still running it with a switch because I'm concerned if a automatic on of switch should fail then I'll either have no fire of a boiler room full of coal.

The auger in the Ash also works but I need to push the Ash with a shovel into it. The Ash bonds together and doesn't fall/slide down to the auger. I though maybe to add a pnuematic vibrator to the Ash bin but the thought that may vibrate the hot coals off the burner.

So as of now, it works well but has it's flaws. Takes me 2 minutes to load the hopper and empty the Ash. But I do have to do it twice a day due to the Ash build up......so it's easier and faster but I'm there messing with it more often.

Let me know if you have any thoughts that may help with the Ash removal issue.

Thanks Frank

crazysteamer
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A150
Coal Size/Type: Rice (usually Blaschack)
Other Heating: Propane

Post by crazysteamer » Wed. Feb. 24, 2021 6:07 pm

careful with pneumatic vibrators...you will end up with cracks everywhere....been there, done that -> never do it again.

you might consider putting in some sort of 'stirring / mixing' widget that runs on a timer that will swish the ash around and cause it to fall.....similar to kneading dough...

as for on / off -> have you ever considered one of these sensing things that they use in automobiles to detect the curb and / or car in the next lane?

If you put one top center above your coal bin, when it sees a 'hole' it can turn the auger on.

Polaroid camera pioneered them with their SX70 for 'auto focus' and they used to be available industrially for quite a while, but the idea caught on:

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/The-Polaroid- ... _237340168

a possible source:

http://info.turck.us/ultrasonic_sensors/?utm_sour ... gKa_PD_BwE

try a google search for ULTRASONIC DISTANCE DETECTORs

https://www.digikey.fi/fi/articles/fundamentals-d ... of-sensors

GrantGrace

Post by GrantGrace » Wed. Apr. 14, 2021 5:12 pm

Wow, you guys have really cool automated systems. I would also like to do something similar, but so far it is only in the plans. How long did you plan for this and what helped you the most? I am new to this field and I want to surprise my father with a well-established mechanism, but I do not have enough experience in this field yet. I have already purchased a number of important parts for the entire system here automation-usa.com and now it remains for me to fit all this harmoniously, and make it so that everything works without problems, which I very much doubt. I will be glad to hear useful tips for a beginner!
Last edited by GrantGrace on Thu. Apr. 15, 2021 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

crazysteamer
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A150
Coal Size/Type: Rice (usually Blaschack)
Other Heating: Propane

Post by crazysteamer » Wed. Apr. 14, 2021 5:22 pm

Frank F wrote:
Mon. Oct. 26, 2020 9:19 am

I am definitely worried about jams once it's automated. So in the beginning both the feed auger and the Ash auger will be turned on manually to ensure they are working without issues. Then I'll work the automation.
Automation is easy once you start thinking along those lines.

Traditionally -> one way to handle the automation and jam ups is to put the motor / belt on a spring loaded platform so that if things get pulled really tight the platform is pulled down past its normal position -> and trips a switch and a relay drops out.

or put a spring loaded belt tensioner arm on the TENSION SIDE of the belt (opposite of where it normally would go). again...if the belt gets really tight, it pops a switch.

or you can put the motor on a VFD (use a 3 phase motor), and set the over-current limit to JUST OVER what you normally use..and if it jams up...the VFD drops out and activates a beeper to let you know.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”