Class A instalation questions.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Thu. Sep. 24, 2020 10:53 am

Im getting close to finishing up. Just needed some clarification.

1 screw per joint on class a double wall insulated twist lock?

Sealant under shingles at the top side of flashing?

I read that coal pipe joints are the opposite of wood so thats not possible with class a, but i can do the single wall that way? Or just keep it going with the wood type configuration?

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Thu. Sep. 24, 2020 10:08 pm

Twist locks should have a locking band...

fig
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Thu. Sep. 24, 2020 10:26 pm

Guess I'll have to buy some. The place i took it down from just had 1 screw in each joint.

fig

Post by fig » Sun. Sep. 27, 2020 11:03 pm

A few days ago i put a storm gaurd on my flashing for my stainless double wall. I went up to look at it this morning and it had completely delaminated from the stainless chimney. It was well adhered to the galvanized storm collar. I re applied a bead under the collar and slid it down over the bead then laid another bead over it. Ill check it tomorrow and see what i have.

The brand is Meecos rated for 500 degrees. Its all that is available locally. Hope it works this time. Cant understand why it wouldnt stick to stainless. I thought silicone sticks to anything.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Sep. 28, 2020 5:45 am

Never heard of locking bands---course my double wall stainless is 15 yrs old & the twist locks have worked well I guess, it's still there. F, can't imagine anything sticking permanently to stainless???????????????? I used that rubberized spray on the roof/collar flashing. (the real stuff, not General Dollar wanna-be) LOL

fig

Post by fig » Mon. Sep. 28, 2020 10:00 am

I always heard silicone sticks to anything but silicone....or was that something else...hmm.

I looked at the locking bands and dont see how it would work on this pipe. There is only a bead on one end of the mating sides. The other side is flat. The band that i saw looks like it is meant to couple two beads together. I just put 3 sheetmetal screws in each joint being sure they were short enough that they didnt pierce the inner wall. Next i have to make a chimney support above the roof. Ive got about 6 feet from the flashing and as windy as it gets here ill sleep better knowing its secure. Ive got about 12 feet of 16 gauge stainless channel ill use for supports. I just need to get some flat stock to roll an 8" band to fasten the channel to.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”