Anthracite Stack Emmisions

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Mon. Jan. 05, 2009 9:02 pm

Hey all, I have been reading like crazy since getting back in the forum. Had to repress myself on a couple of threads I read and just shut up. However, after reading all of this one and not having the time this evening to watch the video, I would recommend to anyone the book titled "The Skeptical Environmentalist". I read it last spring and loved it. Global warming is a myth and I put it in the same catagory as Obahma(The Savior's) Change. It seems to be human nature to cry gloom and doom to stir up irrational emotions in the uneducated and easily mislead public to further ones political future. It works all to well as history has shown.
Kevin

Paulie

Post by Paulie » Mon. Jan. 05, 2009 9:51 pm

Taking all emotion and politics out of it, follow the science trail. Co2 is an effect, not a cause. I suspect that it will all shake
out with in a couple of years. :)

U235a4

Post by U235a4 » Mon. Jan. 05, 2009 10:10 pm

Paulie wrote:Taking all emotion and politics out of it, follow the science trail. Co2 is an effect, not a cause. I suspect that it will all shake
out with in a couple of years. :)
your correct the whole global warming thing is still in the birthing stage, in 5-10 years we will know a lot more but here is my problem with "global warming" who are we (being humans) to say weather the planet has been a constant temp for ages.... I mean come on this planet has been all over the map tempture wise and narrow minded people say that the earth has varyied a few degrees and things are going to die....... please... man never has and never will affect the temp of the earth with C02 maybe other things that deplete the ozone but not CO2. If some people remeber the greenies where all worried about cow farts and want to tax farmers ...next they'll tag a tax on to us for just passing wind. :shock:

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Tue. Jan. 06, 2009 12:05 am

Don't laugh, it's happening.
http://www.businessandmedia.org/articles/2008/200 ... 65231.aspx

I don't know why the links I post don't link. sorry, you'll have to copy and paste to yuor browser.

OldAA130
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by OldAA130 » Wed. Jan. 07, 2009 9:24 pm

If you believe that all levels of government and business in the USA aren't corrupt then you are pretty gullible. Globle warming is about money, power, and politics and nothing else. And if you think our government would ever develop energy policy to benefit bucky-joe-citizen then as well, you are gullible. Global warming is a religion not a science. The head muhafta is Al Gore.

Someone mentioned Picken's plan waaaaaay back in this thread.
I don't see anything about solar in his plans but the wind and natural gas are things we could and should do now. Of course it's being done but it needs a kick in the pants.
what most folks don't know is that your tax dollars are the only thing keeping wind mills afloat. Your typical coal fired power plant has a buss price (what they sell it for) of $40 - $60 per million watts of electricity. A wind mill has a buss price of -$30. This means the cost of electricity would have to go down to minus thirty dollars for the windmill to no longer be profitable. Your tax dollars at work.

And Yanche... I've found a pretty good website that promotes Anthracite coal... https://coalpail.com/

Tom

OldAA130

Post by OldAA130 » Wed. Jan. 07, 2009 9:46 pm

MikeandGerry...

Add to that the flawed conclusions the activists were making from the ice core data and voila, you have hype, not science.
I read an article a while back where scientist pulling ice cores in the arctic had discovered a sort of "calendar" of events of human history. They said that according to the ice cores, man began domesticating animals some 20,000 years ago and they knew this because they could see the increase of CO2 in the ice layers. Of course, the CO2 comes from the farting cows. If this isn't laughable then nothing out there would make me laugh...

The only thing worse than the hype that's being crammed down our throats is that too many people buy into it.

Dann757

Post by Dann757 » Wed. Jan. 07, 2009 10:06 pm

I love this site more every day. I was wondering how to run my stove on coal last September, now I've got quite a supply of antique coal and it seems I can keep my stove going continuously, due to the advice freely given here! And a bonus on top of that is I've met people with like minds; and am jumping with joy that the gloom and doom spell cast on me by the media is broken. I know about science, but I was blindly accepting anthropogenic global warming and feeling guilty every time I started my truck.
I've found people I agree with here, and realize it's a waste of time trying to present opposing info to any chicken little's I know!

The Pickens plan got somewhat aborted since I think he was going to borrow millions of dollars to get his wind farms going; I don't think he's any saint either since there must have a profit in it for him.

I read once that when nuclear power was first starting to be used to generate electricity they thought electricity would be so cheap they couldn't meter it, virtually cost free.

Now the Russians have cut the natural gas to thousands of people in a price dispute- I don't think that would happen here, but I'm independant of that too as long as I tend my stove!

Here's an older quote about Al Gore I just dug up today:

Last August alone, Gore burned through 22,619 kWh—guzzling more than twice the electricity in one month than an average American family uses in an entire year. As a result of his energy consumption, Gore’s average monthly electric bill topped $1,359.

Since the release of An Inconvenient Truth, Gore’s energy consumption has increased from an average of 16,200 kWh per month in 2005, to 18,400 kWh per month in 2006.

Gore’s extravagant energy use does not stop at his electric bill. Natural gas bills for Gore’s mansion and guest house averaged $1,080 per month last year.

“As the spokesman of choice for the global warming movement, Al Gore has to be willing to walk the walk, not just talk the talk, when it comes to home energy use,” said Tennessee Center for Policy Research President Drew Johnson.
In total, Gore paid nearly $30,000 in combined electricity and natural gas bills for his Nashville estate in 2006.”

eelhc

Post by eelhc » Thu. Jan. 08, 2009 8:34 pm

mikeandgerry wrote:
eelhc wrote:This is worth a watch..

Caused a great stir in the UK...

Not necessarily my view but I do agree that an enlightened arguments from both sides should be examined.
Great post. Thanks.

Not your view? Really? :shock: A true believer wouldn't consider burning coal. What gives? Not enough evidence? Not enough experts?
I mention "not necessarily my view" because I don't agree with everything in this program. However... I too am of the opinion that while global warming may be real, man made carbon dioxide has little to do with it. Got the coals cranking tonight!

While I am no tree hugger I am of the opinion that conservation is good, pollution is bad and I am especially keen on frugal and efficient living.

Here's another one...

Dann757

Post by Dann757 » Thu. Jan. 08, 2009 9:48 pm

eelhc,
Thanks, I just watched that show- really good.

OldAA130

Post by OldAA130 » Fri. Jan. 09, 2009 8:47 am

While I am no tree hugger I am of the opinion that conservation is good, pollution is bad and I am especially keen on frugal and efficient living.
I think there is a little "tree hugger" in all of us. Anyone can live like a drunken sailor (no insult intended to any Navy men out there...) :| To me, part of the challenge is doing what I'm doing (heating my place) and doing it with less. That's precisely why I bought an old beat up piece of junk (that has an exceptional reputation) and brought it back to life. I've spent many an hour reading the threads on this site and have seen a few folks who measure their coal and ashes on a regular basis. I plan to do this. I have to figure out how to quantify the heat output to the house. Maybe someone out there can help me with this... how many BTU's is my house using. It really doesn't matter to me how much coal I am using. What really matters is how much energy is being wasted, either out the flue or in the ash bucket or out through the walls of my house. One test I will run is called "loss on ignition" which will measre the amount of carbon in the ash. I will likely spend about $200 on all the testing but the knowledge gained will allow me to further tune the boiler. I can also perform some of the testing myself and I plan to do this once I build the testing devices.

Earlier in my life I looked at everything through the dollar sign prism. I bought a place once with some big old trees... and quickly planned the demise of those trees and also how I was going to spend the money... but something changed... I figured out that I would miss those big old trees that have stood there for more than a hundred years. Now, I look at things differently... much differently.

Part of my job at the power plant was to closely watch the performance of the unit not just from an efficiency perspective but also from an environmental standpoint. I have become very concious of environmental issues related to burning fossil fuels. Being a good steward of the environment is very important to me. My position now is that I need to live my life and be comfortable with what I'm doing and providing for my family... but not do this in excess without regard for how I'm affecting the environment around me, my family, neighbors, etc. I don't want to have that attitude that many I know have... "hurray for me... screw you... no get outta my way..."

One thing I don't agree with is destroying the economy and bringing down capitalism to appease the hysteria of global warming.

billw

Post by billw » Fri. Jan. 09, 2009 9:16 am

Great post OldAA130. I think most here feel the same.

OldAA130

Post by OldAA130 » Sat. Jan. 10, 2009 11:15 am

Hey billw... I was checking out the links at the bottom of your posts... I built a chimney a couple years ago at a previous home. My questions are off topic so I created a new thread - Linered Block Chimney Install Questions... in - Board index ‹ Anthracite Coal Forums ‹ Venting, Plumbing, Chimneys, Controls, Coal Bins

Thanks
Tom

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”