Southerner Needs a Primer

HandLogger
Other Heating: Cord Wood Furnace and a Navien Propane Boiler

Post by HandLogger » Thu. Feb. 06, 2020 12:10 pm

UPDATE: We've begun the process of hunting for a decent used EFM DF 520. At this point in time, we haven't found one that warrants a long drive, so I'm going to open up our search and add another brand to the list of possibilities: Axeman-Anderson.

Forum member Lightning has already added a great post about his A-A 130, so I'd like to read more from other Axeman owners. How do you folks like your A-A coal stoker boilers?

HandLogger

Post by HandLogger » Thu. Feb. 06, 2020 5:40 pm

nepacoal wrote:
Tue. Feb. 04, 2020 5:10 am
Or maybe just use a heat gun or torch to heat it up...
nepacoal: Thanks very much for posting an alternate method for testing out our appliance flue.

I just employed the link you have in your signature box and took a good look at your stoker boiler. Looks like you put a lot of love and thought into that installation. So far, the boss has been less than enthusiastic about switching to coal...I thinks she saw Mary Poppins and, specifically, Bert's dirty face too many times. Regardless, she also really enjoys a warm house -- so it's the old trump card again. :yes: Your boiler, on the other hand, looks like something even she would smile about. Very nice work! :D

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Feb. 06, 2020 5:46 pm

Well the Axeman is the only coal appliance that comes with a grate that is GUARANTEED FOREVER (damn thing weighs about 100# and would probably stop a BMG .50 round dead). There are no cast refractories, parts with holes that need cleaning and replacing and will just chug right through a massive clinker. The firepot is completely surrounded by water so it doesn't give up heat to the room as readily as other appliances. They're a bit noisier than others but it's more like a symphony to me. They are as reliable as a bucket of rocks and will eat them along with the coal as I've proven. :lol:

In regards to where I get my coal, I have a Blashack dealer about 10 minutes from my house.

HandLogger

Post by HandLogger » Thu. Feb. 06, 2020 6:37 pm

coaledsweat wrote:
Thu. Feb. 06, 2020 5:46 pm
Well the Axeman is the only coal appliance that comes with a grate that is GUARANTEED FOREVER (damn thing weighs about 100# and would probably stop a BMG .50 round dead). There are no cast refractories, parts with holes that need cleaning and replacing and will just chug right through a massive clinker. The firepot is completely surrounded by water so it doesn't give up heat to the room as readily as other appliances. They're a bit noisier than others but it's more like a symphony to me. They are as reliable as a bucket of rocks and will eat them along with the coal as I've proven. :lol:

In regards to where I get my coal, I have a Blashack dealer about 10 minutes from my house.
coaledsweat: Thanks for the great post describing the benefits of your A-A boiler. Having a Blashack source near your home, do you simply buy a (truck?) load of bagged 40-pound anthracite? If not, do you have a bulk load of the black stuff dumped into a coal bin? As we have a way to handle unloading palletized loads, I was thinking that we would simply buy our coal by the pallet load. I other words, (50) 40-pound bags at a time. Any thoughts on this? Thanks again, sir. :)

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Feb. 06, 2020 8:35 pm

He has pallets of bagged, 60, 40# bags a pallet at 2400# total. I'll get 3 pallets at a time on my backhoe trailer or put the sides on it when I score some bulk. Got about 3 ton of Lehigh for nothing in the fall that way. Free but full of rock and dirt. Axeman ate it like candy. It did gave a hilarious burp to it though. :what:

Where are you located?

HandLogger

Post by HandLogger » Fri. Feb. 07, 2020 1:02 am

coaledsweat wrote:
Thu. Feb. 06, 2020 8:35 pm
He has pallets of bagged, 60, 40# bags a pallet at 2400# total. I'll get 3 pallets at a time on my backhoe trailer or put the sides on it when I score some bulk. Got about 3 ton of Lehigh for nothing in the fall that way. Free but full of rock and dirt. Axeman ate it like candy. It did gave a hilarious burp to it though. :what:

Where are you located?
The house we're trying to heat is located in the Berkshires region of western Mass...and please remember that I'm not from this area. :oops:

HandLogger

Post by HandLogger » Fri. Feb. 07, 2020 10:37 am

Lightning: I was just turned on to a used A-A130 that's for sale. As it's nearly 400 miles away from here, I wanted to ask you about having one of these boilers rebuilt. Did you add your A-A project to a thread on the forum? I'm very interested in knowing what to look for when it comes to a used Axeman-Anderson stoker. Thank you for anything you might be willing to share with us in this regard.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Feb. 07, 2020 10:48 am

How are you doing on your heat loss calculation?

No point in buying a coal boiler just to find out you need 2x the currently installed radiation. If that happens you will be looking for a way to heat the doghouse.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Feb. 07, 2020 11:05 am

When looking at used Axemans, check the water coil plate area. If it shows a lot of leaking it will be a project to get it up to snuff. Make sure the feed tube runs true (they get bent moving them improperly) and isn't worn badly at the rollers. The rest is a cake walk pretty much, belts, bearings, controls.

It's best to view these thing running and under pressure. That way you know what's working properly and if it leaks.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Feb. 07, 2020 12:22 pm

coaledsweat wrote:
Fri. Feb. 07, 2020 11:05 am
When looking at used Axemans, check the water coil plate area. If it shows a lot of leaking it will be a project to get it up to snuff...It's best to view these thing running and under pressure. That way you know what's working properly and if it leaks.
That is good advice for any coal boiler.

HandLogger

Post by HandLogger » Fri. Feb. 07, 2020 3:02 pm

Thanks, Rob and CoaledSweat. As ever, you both have me thinking about what's ahead of us, but, with a little luck, we'll be better prepared. Having written that, I have to admit that I haven't found the time to get into a heating study of our home -- and that's totally on me. This does, however, lead me to a question that I hope doesn't seem obtuse: Considering that our propane boiler is so small, doesn't starting with a "full size" water boiler make perfect sense? In other words, If adding a large boiler to our heating system doesn't prove to be the ultimate solution, can't we always add more "radiation" to solve the issue?

One thing that was pointed out early on in this thread that does make perfect sense to me: Why heat one end of the house with forced-air when you can heat the entire house with your hydronic baseboards?

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Feb. 07, 2020 4:30 pm

HandLogger wrote:
Fri. Feb. 07, 2020 10:37 am
Lightning: I was just turned on to a used A-A130 that's for sale. As it's nearly 400 miles away from here, I wanted to ask you about having one of these boilers rebuilt. Did you add your A-A project to a thread on the forum? I'm very interested in knowing what to look for when it comes to a used Axeman-Anderson stoker. Thank you for anything you might be willing to share with us in this regard.
Here are my two AA130 threads. They are a lengthy read and sometimes quite involved since much of it was new to me. I purchased this unit cheap, replaced some worn parts and I'm currently preparing for a coal feed tube repair. The machine is 60 years old so it's to be expected. Once I'm satisfied with its renovations it'll likely out live me..

Many people have done some extensive modifications to their AAs by adding electronic controls and a second motor, changing speeds of the combustion fan, feed tube and such. Personally I really like the stock format of 60 years ago and at the moment I don't feel inclined to change it much.

Another advantage to these machines is that they aren't fickle about coal size. Pretty much anything pea size or smaller will work.

AA 130 M Restoration and Installation

The Epoch of the Axeman

HandLogger

Post by HandLogger » Sat. Feb. 08, 2020 1:08 pm

Lightning wrote:
Fri. Feb. 07, 2020 4:30 pm
Here are my two AA130 threads. They are a lengthy read and sometimes quite involved since much of it was new to me. I purchased this unit cheap, replaced some worn parts and I'm currently preparing for a coal feed tube repair. The machine is 60 years old so it's to be expected. Once I'm satisfied with its renovations it'll likely out live me..

Many people have done some extensive modifications to their AAs by adding electronic controls and a second motor, changing speeds of the combustion fan, feed tube and such. Personally I really like the stock format of 60 years ago and at the moment I don't feel inclined to change it much.

Another advantage to these machines is that they aren't fickle about coal size. Pretty much anything pea size or smaller will work.

AA 130 M Restoration and Installation

The Epoch of the Axeman
Thankee, Lee. I'll give both of those threads a good looking over as soon as I get some free computer time. :yes:

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”