Mid Season Clean Out Time

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Fri. Jan. 10, 2020 8:50 am

Temps are heading up to threaten 60* ( :clap: ) this weekend in our corner of the universe so it will be a good time to do the mid season clean out of the flue pipe and scrape the walls of the stoker so we are ready for the real cold temps that are sure to come.

I think by Saturday evening the stoker will be cooled off enough from idling all day to do the quick clean out without losing the fire. Since its a flat bed stoker I'll only have about a 15 minute window to get it done so it may take a couple timer cycles to get the pipe and stoker walls.

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Fri. Jan. 10, 2020 9:04 am

I did ours right before new year's but I shut it down. From shut down to re-light was about 35 minutes. Then turned the thermostat up for 30 minutes to establish the new fire. Hope to redo my pipes in the spring with. Tee for cleanout at the thimble so I don't have to shut down for the mid season cleaning.

BostonBob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman DVC500,Alaska Gnome 40
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by BostonBob » Fri. Jan. 10, 2020 9:59 am

I was going to wait but had a few days off of work and decided to just shut down and clean out everything on the Harman DVC 500, I had an issue where I couldn’t get the latch moved to get to the exhaust fan, the heat helped with that and was able to clean that out, recemented the grates and restarted the fire soon after ! Hope all goes well

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Mon. Jan. 13, 2020 8:11 am

Mid season clean out is done. I ended up shutting it down as we hit 71 here on Saturday and I didn't want to worry about keeping a draft in that January heat wave!!

Furnace didn't need to kick on so far...it stayed at 65 over night Sat into Sunday and stayed at 68 all day. Temps did drop to 35 overnight last night but the house temp is holding at 66.

Looks like I'll be firing up today in the house and later this week in the workshop.

oops...as I was typing this I heard the furnace kick on..... :roll:

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Mon. Jan. 13, 2020 8:17 am

titleist1 wrote:
Mon. Jan. 13, 2020 8:11 am
oops...as I was typing this I heard the furnace kick on..... :roll:
Noooooooooo...... Say it ain't so!

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”