Coal Hods

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sat. Jan. 04, 2020 11:19 am

Whatever acids anthracite expels, sure takes a toll on "anything" metal. another one of my hods has rotted out, and I don't believe it's more than a few years old. So I just acquired another one from the Amazon jungle, and was wondering if someone could recommend some type of paint, liner or sealer that might make it last a bit longer.
The old one in the photo, I cut out a piece of galvanized tin and placed it on the bottom, to spread out the load, before the entire bottom drops out, carrying a load through the living room. Even with it there, coal dust spills out the crack, when I lift it after filling.
DSC00699.JPG
.JPG | 432.4KB | DSC00699.JPG
I've heard of, and seen these copper and/or brass ones, but haven't bitten the bullet...yet.
I'm sure this topic has already been addressed.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sat. Jan. 04, 2020 11:23 am

Wet coal is the killer of both hod and metal chimney.

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Sat. Jan. 04, 2020 11:29 am

Get a spray can of truck bed liner and give it a good coat or two. Should make it last quite a bit longer.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Jan. 04, 2020 11:38 am

J, I've had the same HOD goin on 10 yrs--don't ask me how????? Not a clue---my supplier does oil his bulk.
-BUT, if I was havin that problem--I'd go with N's suggestion about bedliner spray--NAPA I'd guess.

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Jan. 04, 2020 12:04 pm

franco b wrote:
Sat. Jan. 04, 2020 11:23 am
Wet coal is the killer of both hod and metal chimney.
Good point FB. I guess if the coal vendor washes their stuff, then bagged, and even if condensation accumulates inside, then there's my wet coal. I'm not buying in bulk, and storing it in open bins outside either. So some of my coal is definitely wet.
Maybe if I take my stacked pile of bagged coal, and hang a weeks worth on the cloths line, I can dry it out? :annoyed: :lol:
freetown fred wrote:
Sat. Jan. 04, 2020 11:38 am
J, I've had the same HOD goin on 10 yrs--don't ask me how????? Not a clue---my supplier does oil his bulk.
-BUT, if I was havin that problem--I'd go with N's suggestion about bedliner spray--NAPA I'd guess.
10 years on the same hods Fred!? Is your coal delivered in bins, that are stored inside where it drys out? I guess I'll give the bed liner paint a try that you guys recommended. (thanks) And if there's any left over, maybe I should touch up the bed of my dually?
DSCF2130.JPG
.JPG | 516.3KB | DSCF2130.JPG

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Jan. 04, 2020 12:55 pm

Get it bulk J--got 3 bins with removable metal roofing for tops & removable wood slats as the bin emptys. 4X4X5--with PT 4X4 bracing/frame-work-- just rough cut I've had laying around. Supplier uses a conveyer to fill bins. Yep, thinkin the bed liner paint will do ya well. Time will tell. I think my supplier oiling the BLASCHAK is what saves the HOD. Plus it's pretty dry moisture wise.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sat. Jan. 04, 2020 1:13 pm

Bagged Reading pea coal takes a month to dry out with the top of the bag cut off. Pinholes in the bag are just dents in the plastic.

Blaschak coal is much dryer, a day is good. There are pinholes punched in the bags as well.

You can try stabbing cuts in the bags in storage to speed drying. Nut coal is much less of a problem.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Jan. 04, 2020 1:20 pm

Are you putting ash in the hod? Or maybe it is getting into them somehow? Or putting other things in them in the off season? Do you have them outside at all with male dogs around getting revenge on you? :lol:

I have 2 hods I've had since I started with little or no rust in them, only used for raw coal. I use galvanized pails for ash and I can only get 2 years out of those. Plastic pails are harder to scoop out of but do work and wont rust.

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Jan. 04, 2020 1:58 pm

warminmn wrote:
Sat. Jan. 04, 2020 1:20 pm
Are you putting ash in the hod? r maybe it is getting into them somehow? Or putting other things in them in the off season? Do you have them outside at all with male dogs around getting revenge on you? :lol:
No ash in the hods WM. Just fines. When I used Blaschak pea in my Surdiac, the stuff was premo. Unfortunately, the Lehigh Stove and nut this season, seems to have gone awry. Quite a bit of fines, and wood crap. Might try again to find some Blaschac stove and/or nut around here.

AllanD
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HAND FIRED HARMON
Coal Size/Type: STOVE
Other Heating: Oil fired hotwater baseboard

Post by AllanD » Thu. Feb. 13, 2020 12:52 am

You can take a ton of stove coal that each piece is cut and polished like a brilliant cut diamond. pile it on the ground, scoop it up with a skid steer loader, dump it in a pickup truck, shovel it into your bin, then shovel it out of the bin into your hod and be stunned by the percentage of fines you get

As for the wood bits, would you rather find human fingers? a whole arm?

The guys at the breaker use 2x4's to coax chunks from sticking, they seem hesitant to put their hands at risk in the machinery....

joeq

Post by joeq » Thu. Feb. 13, 2020 5:17 pm

So Allen, you must have relatives working Lehigh, to take my post so personal.
I guess Blaschac miners after polishing their coal, use foam rubber to coax their chunks from sticking, and use plastic shovels to load the rail cars before shipping, cause that stuff when I bought it was always clean, dry, and serviceable. Never a body part did I witness. But in Lehighs defense, I have seen worse.

AllanD
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HAND FIRED HARMON
Coal Size/Type: STOVE
Other Heating: Oil fired hotwater baseboard

Post by AllanD » Fri. Feb. 14, 2020 4:15 pm

No I'm just pointing out the Absurdity of expecting Coal to be as clean and dry as some people seem to expect it to be, especially with how brittle coal is..

In my experience if you did rinse each piece in a hod full by hand and carefully place them in a bucket, then pour them into a second bucket , that alone would generate a cup of "fines".

the number of fines I find on top of my cab after my pickup is loaded would easily fill a coffee cup!
There is a reason I wear a black jacket when I go to get coal and safety glasses when they load it, black shards fly everywhere!

My brother works in a mine, the Antilope Mine in Wyoming, nobody I know of has ever worked for Lehigh.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Feb. 14, 2020 4:53 pm

Well put A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
AllanD wrote:
Fri. Feb. 14, 2020 4:15 pm
No I'm just pointing out the Absurdity of expecting Coal to be as clean and dry as some people seem to expect it to be, especially with how brittle coal is..

My brother works in a mine, the Antilope Mine in Wyoming, nobody I know of has ever worked for Lehigh.

Holdencoal

Post by Holdencoal » Fri. Feb. 14, 2020 6:40 pm

why not just get this. It should out last all of us.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/sortera-recycling-b ... 10255897/

joeq

Post by joeq » Fri. Feb. 14, 2020 8:54 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Fri. Feb. 14, 2020 4:53 pm
Well put A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
What are you talkin about Fred. You strictly buy Blaschac. You don't know what fines or wood scraps even look like. :roll:

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”