High CO levels this morning.

Jared220

Post by Jared220 » Thu. Dec. 26, 2019 2:44 pm

McGiever wrote:
Thu. Dec. 26, 2019 2:16 pm
You can do a lot of air current and leak checking with a smoke/incense stick place where direction or leak might be suspect...
Also, with weaken fire it can be easier for other household exhaust equipment to over come any weak chimney draft, like clothes dryer and kitchen and bath exhaust fans ...All this especially with a 'shared chimney'...can you cover oil furnace barometric damper with aluminum foil?
Does home have a fireplace?
No fireplace in the house. Just the oil furnace and the coal furnace sharing the same chimney. Definitely going to get the incense stick just to check for some leaks. But just looking at the pipes everything looks good.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Dec. 26, 2019 2:53 pm

It's okay, I understand.. the point here is that air from the living space needs a way to get back to the convection blower on the coal furnace. Maybe you could "open up" a place on the oil burner's cold air return in the basement for this purpose. Overall, the air needs to make a complete circuit, a loop, starting at the coal furnace. Heated air is pushed into the living space, then it needs a way to return to the coal furnace to repeat the process.

If there is not a way for the air to come back to the furnace bad and inefficient things can happen.

#1 if you have a tight basement, a low pressure area will form and compromise the chimney draft. This also makes conditions for more cold air infiltration, something we dont want.

#2 it creates a high pressure area in the living space which forces warm air out of the house anywhere it can, wasting heat..

These conditions will cause poor chimney performance and cause you to burn more coal than necessary to be comfortable.

But don't fret, these things aren't hard to fix :)

Jared220

Post by Jared220 » Thu. Dec. 26, 2019 3:38 pm

Lightning wrote:
Thu. Dec. 26, 2019 2:53 pm
It's okay, I understand.. the point here is that air from the living space needs a way to get back to the convection blower on the coal furnace. Maybe you could "open up" a place on the oil burner's cold air return in the basement for this purpose. Overall, the air needs to make a complete circuit, a loop, starting at the coal furnace. Heated air is pushed into the living space, then it needs a way to return to the coal furnace to repeat the process.

If there is not a way for the air to come back to the furnace bad and inefficient things can happen.

#1 if you have a tight basement, a low pressure area will form and compromise the chimney draft. This also makes conditions for more cold air infiltration, something we dont want.

#2 it creates a high pressure area in the living space which forces warm air out of the house anywhere it can, wasting heat..

These conditions will cause poor chimney performance and cause you to burn more coal than necessary to be comfortable.

But don't fret, these things aren't hard to fix :)
Thanks for clearing that up :yes:. Hopefully once I get this manometer I can start to get some clarity on what is happening and how to get it corrected. In the mean time its back to burning oil.

Thankful for all the help from everyone.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Dec. 26, 2019 4:22 pm

Jared220 wrote:
Thu. Dec. 26, 2019 3:38 pm
Thanks for clearing that up . Hopefully once I get this manometer I can start to get some clarity on what is happening and how to get it corrected. In the mean time its back to burning oil.
Good choice, better safe than sorry. :)

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”