Draft problem - Looking inside chimney

arcticcatmatt

Post by arcticcatmatt » Mon. Nov. 11, 2019 4:18 pm

Working on a draft issue I had last year with my coal stoker stove in the basement of my 2 story home. 1 chimney that has 2 flues inside of it. One is my propane fireplace on the 1st floor. The other is the coal stove that is in the basement (was a wood stove prior to my purchase of the home). I went to clean it today just because.. and got stuck 1/2 way down. I rigged up a camera and a light to see whats going on down there and I made these two videos. Is this normal? Notice, there is a jog 1/2 way down that I can't get by..
Video 1 -
Video 2 -

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Nov. 11, 2019 6:01 pm

Not normal but not unusual...
So 14 feet down what is in the house that the chimney needs to adjust itself for...
Align so it hits the peak in the center...

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Nov. 11, 2019 6:03 pm

Had that in my back tile chimney--NORMAL?????????????? who knows--ended up pouring kero down & a match shortly there after!! It got the "rock residue soft/brittle enough to complete cleaning. Yep, God knows that method is far from politically correct!! LOL BUT, it worked.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Tue. Nov. 12, 2019 9:55 am

It's normal. At the top your chimney is just wide enough to accommodate the 2 flues. As you get down to where the firebox is for the fireplace the basement flue has to jog around it. Mine is exactly the same way. Fly ash will sit and collet on the diagonals. I drop a rope with some light chain on it every year to knock it off of the diagonal areas.
Pretty cool idea the way you made these videos; Like chimney colonaoscopy.

artbaldoni
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak
Other Heating: O W/C B

Post by artbaldoni » Tue. Nov. 12, 2019 11:47 am

Could the "draft problem" be coming from the fact that there is a second appliance connected into the flue for the coal unit in the basement? I doubt the propane fireplace is air tight. Wouldn't it destroy the draft if air is entering the flue on the level above?

And to answer the question regarding the offset, my basement flue does the same thing to get around the fireplace above. I abandoned the wood boiler I had in the basement for this reason. Could never get the flue cleaned properly.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”