Run oil furnace fan when coal furnace kicks on.

megamike
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by megamike » Sat. Sep. 21, 2019 5:03 pm

I figured the thermostat section would be the best place for this.

I just wired up my oil furnace thermostat to have the "fan only" option. The previous owner of my coal furnace did a terrible job hooking it up to the existing ductwork. I would like to hook mine to the cold air return of the oil furnace, and have the oil furnace fan come on when the keystoker fan comes on. Is this possible?

I'm not sure what model it is, it doesn't say anywhere on it. It has a dayton blower fan that puts out around 1000cfm. The previous owner also did not use a cold air return on the coal furnace. I plan to run 2x 10inch pipes up through the floor and make it's own separate cold air return.

Any other tips? I've never owned one of these. I guess I should also have some kind of damper on the heat output of the coal furnace for when we are using oil? It would probably suck cold air from the basement I'm thinking.

Edit: also, if keystoker has a manual for ductwork installation that would be great. I can't find it anywhere.

megamike
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by megamike » Sun. Sep. 22, 2019 11:29 pm

Ok so I haven't had any responses. After doing a lot of reading, this may not be the best idea. It seems to be a somewhat common installation, but not ideal. I think I'll run 3 heat ducts to opposite ends of the house, then a couple returns (from the coal furnace). I'm thinking that running the ducts independent of the oil furnace may be more efficient. The oil furnace is 1500cfm and barely pressurizes the duct work. There isn't any noticeable airflow in the far bedroom. I think this is because the PO added to the vent system and screwed up the original design.

If I add an independent 3x 8" pipes from the plenum of the coal furnace I'll be taking advantage of the 1000cfm blower, and create a positive pressure in it's own vents. Then make 2 independent returns to the coal furnace. The 3 heat vents would be going to the far sides of the house, and the 2x return vents would be going to the center of the house to pull heat around.

Who knows, I don't really know what I'm talking about. I'm trying to self educate.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Sep. 23, 2019 5:31 am

Some pictures might help others visualize what you are up to. That may help generate some conversation on the subject.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”