New 10500 BTU Keystoker Orderd, Direct / Power Vent

Lee1
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing 3

Post by Lee1 » Mon. Jul. 14, 2008 7:30 pm

Well, Reading this board has made my mind up on going with coal instead of outside wood stove! I orderd a 105000 BTU keystoker (about 8 weeks out) I orderd a direct vent model but will need a power vent installed (no access to chimney) I have to go through wall of poured foundation exposed on the other side, under overhang of house ( about 3 feet and a short section of deck(about 4 feet). Am trying to figure out best way to do this. I believe the power venter is located on outside of house? How far do I need to come out with exhaust piping. There is about 5 feet of head room under the overhang of house. Could I exhaust it under overhang of house with maybe a baffle over top? or maybe bring it out farther under deck and exhaust it. With the power vent can you go a ways with exhaust piping? Any advice will be greatly appreciated, I orderd the stove and because I would be out of luck getting it waiting any longer. Thanks in advance, Lee from Greenwich NY.

JohnnyAsbury

Post by JohnnyAsbury » Mon. Jul. 14, 2008 7:47 pm

I thought a Keystoker DV came with a DV, and didnt need anything else ? Are you sure you need a power vent ? I wouldn't think, but im far from being an expert.

Lee1

Post by Lee1 » Mon. Jul. 14, 2008 8:02 pm

Yes, you are correct, I believe the salesperson said he could get a power venter from Alaska stove. Well do I need a power vent? I am very green here and just thought I would need one.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Mon. Jul. 14, 2008 10:06 pm

A direct vent is a venting device mounted on the stove, pulling exhaust directly from the stove, then pushing the exhaust out a pipe to the outdoors.. the exhaust pipe must be sealed because it is under a slitght positive presssure, so the joints could leak exhaust fumes and CO. A direct vent is a device sold by Keystoker and is attached to the stove exhaust outlet.

A power venter is mounted on the outside of the house, it pulls the exhaust gasses from the stove and all the way to the outside wall. The flue pipe from the stove to the powerventer is under a slight vacuum or negative pressure.. A powervent is made by a different company than the stove,, by SWG I think.

Both the direct vent and powervent must run all the time there is a fire in the stove, so 24/7 during the winter.. And must be cleaned and lubricated every month or so. The flue pipe must also be cleaned every month or so.

Hope this helps Greg L

Lee1

Post by Lee1 » Mon. Jul. 14, 2008 10:27 pm

Thanks Greg, then all I need is to vent this out the basement with the exhaust blower located right off the stove.

LsFarm

Post by LsFarm » Mon. Jul. 14, 2008 10:34 pm

If you ordered it with a direct vent, yes, you should only need to install a flue pipe to the outdoors.

Greg L

Lee1

Post by Lee1 » Tue. Jul. 15, 2008 1:20 am

Ok, Thanks Greg!

LsFarm

Post by LsFarm » Tue. Jul. 15, 2008 9:17 am

Lee, just remember what I said about the flue pipe being under pressure,, not much but a slight pressure.. so you want to seal all joints in the pipe with RTV and high temp tape, and 3 screws per joint..

And have a CO detector near the stove and near the bedrooms. A digital CO detector is best, with a readout, so you can see if you have a small leak [ no CO leak is minor] . Then you can get after it before the alarm goes off at 0400 one morning !

You can get SS seamless pipe and make it so it comes apart in a few large pieces, so you don't have to reseal every connection.. The fly ash is like pepper, very light, but will flow out and make a mess, so you want to plan on the cleaning chore when you build the system.. You might be able to make cleanouts in the pipes, Read up on the various forum members' ideas..

Greg L.

ken

Post by ken » Tue. Jul. 15, 2008 10:25 am

don't forget the clearances for the pipe going outside. Keystoker has them in the manual. :D i'll trade ya a nice Bay Window model. the wife will love it. :D

Lee1

Post by Lee1 » Thu. Jul. 17, 2008 7:30 pm

Hey guys, I am going through a cement foundation (poured), do I need a thimble or liner for the 4 '' stainless pipe (flue). When I drill it out should I go a little bigger? Also I have a 2 foot overhang of the house with 5 feet of outside foundation wall showing. I thought I could come straight out with a tee and a cap under the overhang. The wind does blow down this side of the house? Note there is 4 foot of deck attached to overhang. Thanks for all your help with this I really appreciate it!! Lee

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”