Coal Bin Flooring

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Thu. Jul. 10, 2008 5:50 pm

I'm building a coal bin that is 32ft.L x 8ft. W. and plan on using a Bobcat to load rice coal into the bin. I'll use a tarp to keep the coal dry. My dilemma is finding a floor that is inexpensive and durable.

One idea is to use outdoor carpeting. Cons: I couldn't drive over the carpet with the Bobact when loading the bin. However, I could roll out 6-8 feet at a time then drop the rice coal on the carpet that is laid out. I'd also use a sheet of plywood (as pictured) to section off the bin so the rice coal doesn't spill out all over the place and get run overed with the machine. I would fill one 8 ft. section then move the plywood back another 8 ft. and so on.

Another idea is to use a solid vinyl floor like Armstrong makes. I could find a remerant but it's solid vinyl so water couldn't pass through and that may cause problems I don't know.

I thought about using pressure treated ply with 4 x 4 posts underneath to keep the ply off the ground but the cost is very expensive.

Any lowcost alternatives or advice is appreciated.

Outdoor carpeting-140.00

Vinyl- 250.00

Plywood-450.00

Attachments

bin.jpg
.JPG | 44.2KB | bin.jpg

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Thu. Jul. 10, 2008 8:41 pm

You've got $840 worth of stuff listed....stuff that in 10 years will probably be needing replacement. A 4" concrete pad that size (make it 9 feet wide & set the blocks on it, ends up 8' inside) would be less than 4 yards of concrete, about $300. Add in rebar and you're up around $500. 324 cement blocks brings it to $824. Have rebar stick up from the slab, put the blocks down over and mortar in place. It would be a bunch of labor, but now you can drive on it and in ten yrs it will simply be ten years old. Yaaaa, it would probably run a bit more than $824, rebar's not cheap, but with the right amount I think a block wall would work and it would be cheaper than stack-um blocks.
How much coal are you planning on? Why not make it 10 feet wide and be able to have a truck dump into it?
Lot's to think about!

If you don't want a concrete pad, I'd make a solid gravel pad and use thick felt over the gravel. You can drive on it and it'll last for years. Around here paper mills throw it out now & then.

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Thu. Jul. 10, 2008 11:57 pm

Talk to your local paving contractor. If you pay full price it will be $1.25 per sq. ft. adjusted to your area. Sometimes they have a little left over. If they know they can clean their truck out,they may do your small area over several days for a considerable cost reduction. Scratch my back, ya know! :) Scott

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Fri. Jul. 11, 2008 12:05 am

Freddy: It can be a permanent floor or when I go to sell the house I'll have problems plus it'll cost me well over 1500.00. I had two small sections by my pool poured 2 years ago and priced around and it cost me 700.00 and this is a much bigger area. Asphalt is too permanent too. Another alternative but not cheap would be cement board but I wouldn't be able to drive on it which really wouldn't be a problem.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”