Buckets to Carry Loose Coal

This forum is for common products and questions such as chimney installations, CO detectors, coal bin designs and a variety of other general topics that do not fit into the other forums.
Linc
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak Stoker
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post Fri. Aug. 01, 2008 7:41 pm

I use mostly 6 gal buckets when I buy loose coal. They hold 43#of "nut" ( probably a few pounds more with rice) when filled to the top. I'm not sure how they will work out loading the stoker stove I will be using. I will figure that out once I have the stove installed. Bags will probably make loading easier and I did kept some from last heating season.

Adamiscold
Stove/Furnace Make: Chubby Sr. Old School

Post Sat. Aug. 02, 2008 7:58 am

Gambler,

How is the tube connected to the lid? You need to paint it black to match the stove. :)
Adam

http://www.homepower.com <-- Great magazine.

stokin-railroad
Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker
Stove/Furnace Model: koker 160k

Post Sat. Aug. 02, 2008 8:09 am

That is a nice bucket gambler.i think it does need to be painted black to match the stove though :lol:. is the pipe 3" that is a real cool idea for loading coal in your home. mine is in my unfinished basement so I don't have to be too fussy.thanks for sharing the picture,i'm sure that will be used by many to fill hopper in livingroom!

gambler
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer

Post Sat. Aug. 02, 2008 10:04 am

The tube and fittings are all #3000 crush 3 inch drain pipe that I had lying around. I cut a hole in the lid and pushed the drain cap adapter through and glued the 45 to the other side. It seems to work well because I get no dust or spilled coal. I origionally tried just a bucket and would get coal flowing to the outside of the hopper and onto the floor. :mad: It is very easy to use because it is a snap on lid.
Attachments
bucket flange.JPG
bucket 45.JPG
Take Care and God Bless
Rick

traderfjp
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: Channing 3

Post Sat. Aug. 02, 2008 10:20 am

Mr. Ronco would be proud. Very ingenious. The few times I used buckets I got all lot of dust so I can see this as a great solution.
Disclaimer: I'm not an expert in any coal or plumbing related field. I only post my own experiences, research and common sense. If you choose to use any of the information in this post or any other post you do so at your own risk.

Adamiscold
Stove/Furnace Make: Chubby Sr. Old School

Post Sat. Aug. 02, 2008 4:26 pm

Thats' nice gambler, I'm going to have to try that out. Thanks for the pictures. :D
Adam

http://www.homepower.com <-- Great magazine.

beatle78
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker KA-4

Post Tue. Aug. 05, 2008 2:32 pm

nice bucket gambler!

There is another member on here that has a Harman Magnum and he did something similar b/c of dust reasons!

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”