Going through chimney caps

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Mon. Apr. 29, 2019 5:18 pm

I know I've written about this before. I had a Metal Fab chimney system installed November 2011. Since then I've been through one cap under their warranty and am now fighting to get a second replaced in just 8 years. The pipe is fine, just eating through caps. I called Metal Fab to discuss it with them and was advised I need to go through the contractor who installed it. They have to perform an inspection to be sure it is a defect and not caused by improper use. Sadly, they may want service records to prove it has been cleaned annually. I service my own equipment, so we'll see how this plays out. I've been trying to get a hold of the contractor but the company is a joke. I called Metal Fab tech support back to discuss things further. He blames a mix of location (close to the ocean) and chimney fires as the cause. Correct me if I'm wrong, but chimney fires from coal use is impossible...right? At least that was my argument with tech support. I explained the make up of coal ash and asked for an explanation as to why he thinks it is flammable. I also stated the fact that my single wall flue rarely gets above 125 degrees, well below the ignition point for a chimney fire. His reply...Metal Fab puts their products through rigorous tests. Oh, and coal is extremely dirty...haha!!! My guess is a mix of salty ocean air and cooled coal gasses condensing on the cap. That was my pitch, but he seemed skeptical. What happened to companies standing behind their products? That's a thing of the past. Anyway, anyone have issues like this?

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Mon. Apr. 29, 2019 5:25 pm

Tom, I have been through several caps of the same make as well, but on a stoker boiler. It is the gasses condensing when it finds moisture at the exit point, sadly I don’t think there is a whole lot that can be done to avoid this.

By all means though, try for the warranty. Be sure to point out to the tech support guy that you are burning anthracite and not bituminous... that must be where he is getting the chimney fire idea from.

Just wanted you to know your not alone, I don’t think it’s the fault of the manufacturer, it’s just simply that stainless will rot too if the conditions are proper.

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Mon. Apr. 29, 2019 5:55 pm

Thanks CJ. Not that I wish this problem on others, just glad I’m not alone and it’s not operator error!

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Mon. Apr. 29, 2019 6:35 pm

I go thru a cap in about 3 years.

Replace the very last 12 inch section of pipe every 5 years.

Burning from 10-1 to 6-1.

6zayn

Post by 6zayn » Fri. May. 24, 2019 4:41 pm

It took me 4 years. That's pretty long.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sun. Jun. 02, 2019 8:08 pm

Making a cap from aluminum will take care of that problem. Even copper caps rot from burning coal. Aluminum seems to not bother.

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Mon. Jun. 03, 2019 12:53 pm

oliver power wrote:
Sun. Jun. 02, 2019 8:08 pm
Making a cap from aluminum will take care of that problem. Even copper caps rot from burning coal. Aluminum seems to not bother.
Interesting!!!

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Jun. 03, 2019 1:44 pm

In the old days they used a piece of slate, should last forever.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Jun. 03, 2019 3:13 pm

I had some thin aluminum with a round cut out that went over my chimney and attached to the roof. It was re-enforced but when I removed it, it was full of holes. Perhaps thicker it would be ok, and it would be stronger too against wind.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Mon. Jun. 03, 2019 10:17 pm

warm wrote:
Mon. Jun. 03, 2019 3:13 pm
I had some thin aluminum with a round cut out that went over my chimney and attached to the roof. It was re-enforced but when I removed it, it was full of holes. Perhaps thicker it would be ok, and it would be stronger too against wind.
Gee warminmn, I have had no problems what so ever with aluminum rotting.
The only problem is vibration from wind, which, if not reinforced, will eventually vibrate apart. or, use thicker material. I went from aluminum, to copper, due to vibration. The dense copper doesn't vibrate like the aluminum does. However, it corrodes away.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”