What size window for coal delivery chute?

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Apr. 21, 2019 2:32 pm

I was asked this question in PM so I'll answer it here.

Mine were just under 16 inches wide so they would fit in the cast doors that are designed for the space of single cinder block. I also had the "short chute" and that went down to about six inches wide but was a pain in the ass in the winter. It had a bail on it so you could easily attach it to the other chute but if a big enough frozen piece went down the chute it would get stuck. If the hole was any smaller you could make the chute uneven and just run it down the one side but that took a lot of time and also a pain in the ass.

That would be minimums but as far as window/opening goes the bigger the better. A standard sized basement window or opening will suffice. Don't add your own chutes unless it's absolutely necessary, the person delivering should have plenty of different chutes and a wide open window leaves all the options on the table. Typically when I would fill a bin I'd first fill it right to the top near the window. Then I'd take the extra 3rd chute and lay it flat across the window and on top of the pile of coal already inside the bin. This allows you to chute a lot more coal further into the the bin and if the window/opening is wider you can move it left and right. If all the stars aligned I used to be able to fill a bin to the ceiling about 8 foot into the bin from window and never touch a shovel. :D

The window should always be as high as it can be. There is no exact maximum height of a window relative to the truck but if you want to err on the side of caution the height on the bottom part of the window should be about 5 feet, it can be higher especially if the truck can be backed up to it. Higher is always better but you need to make sure you can get the coal in. Be aware of things like level ground, overhead obstructions etc. I could put coal into opening about 8 feet off the ground but that required being able to back right up to the window/opening, reasonably level ground and nothing overhead. Other things that affect this are nut coal goes down the chute with much less pitch than rice, the cleanliness of the coal is important and in freezing conditions very high windows can be more difficult.

If you are already getting delivery ask your coal dealer how it could be made easier and don't try and do something you think will make easier without asking them first. If you currently do not have bin you could call the dealer you expect to do business with.

ben
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350 with an S-20 pot (1966)
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by ben » Sun. Apr. 28, 2019 9:50 am

I have a thought on where you should place the coal window/slot.
My delivery guy prefers backing onto a driveway rather than driving over a yard.
He is cautious when backing onto a yard especially with snow or wet soggy yards.
Hope this helps with your window placement.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Tue. Dec. 29, 2020 5:55 pm

I'm using a basement window, had to modify it so the sash could be removed, it's a vinyl window.
you got a spammer in the post above.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Dec. 29, 2020 6:18 pm

That's the bet size to shoot for. Gives the chute some play room!!

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Wed. Dec. 30, 2020 11:57 am

I put in a couple 15 x 30? vinyl replacement tilt in windows, I just remove it and the coal just can just auger it in. had the old single pain metal frame that wouldn't open very easily and you couldn't remove the glass frame easily, if /when you could open it. LOL

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”