Coal Chute Door

bear creek burnout

Post by bear creek burnout » Wed. Jul. 09, 2008 8:18 am

When I bought my home it was equipped with an outside steel door which measured approx. 24"X24". It was a completely enclosed system mounted on a steel box with hinges and had welded sides attached to it. It was used for coal delivery in the 30s, 40s, 50s right up until the home was converted to oil fired hot water which replaced the coal. The bin is still intact and I'm considering converting back to coal....no surprise there when anticipating $6/gal for oil.
Does anyone know of a manufacturer of such a steel door? Mine was rusted out and removed a few years ago and the opening in the concrete foundation was blocked in. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

billw

Post by billw » Wed. Jul. 09, 2008 8:24 am

There's a company in Wilkes Barre that still sells coal doors. Nothing like you described but they work. PM me if you're interested and I'll send you the company's contact info.

DickH

Post by DickH » Sun. Mar. 29, 2009 9:51 am

billw wrote:There's a company in Wilkes Barre that still sells coal doors. Nothing like you described but they work. PM me if you're interested and I'll send you the company's contact info.
Bill, I'm new to this forum. I'd like to know the name of the Wilkes-Barre supplier that sells coal doors. Can you tell me how to PM you? (or post the vendor's name). Dick

dorth

Post by dorth » Wed. Apr. 27, 2011 1:46 pm

I would be interested in knowing where in Wilkes-Barre a person can purchase a wood/coal shoot unit. Please reply

dorth

Post by dorth » Wed. Apr. 27, 2011 1:54 pm

billw wrote:There's a company in Wilkes Barre that still sells coal doors. Nothing like you described but they work. PM me if you're interested and I'll send you the company's contact info.
I would be interested in knowing the company in Wilkes Barre that sells coal doors. Thank you 715-423-6589

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Apr. 27, 2011 1:59 pm

Same here. I need to knock a hole in my foundation and install a coal door. It would be much appreciated if someone could point me in the right direction.

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Wed. Apr. 27, 2011 2:15 pm

I can get steel coal doors if anyone wants them. They're 160 each plus shipping, 16"x23", 16gauge steel and weigh 30lbs. They're decent doors, a few inches larger opening than the old typical cast-iron doors and they're lockable. These doors have about a 6"deep frame like the OP described, slide them in, attach them and you're done. PM me if you're interested.

georgedj

Post by georgedj » Mon. Nov. 19, 2012 10:09 am

Berlin wrote:I can get steel coal doors if anyone wants them. They're 160 each plus shipping, 16"x23", 16gauge steel and weigh 30lbs. They're decent doors, a few inches larger opening than the old typical cast-iron doors and they're lockable. These doors have about a 6"deep frame like the OP described, slide them in, attach them and you're done. PM me if you're interested.
Any pictures of door

Wiz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(

Post by Wiz » Mon. Nov. 19, 2012 6:28 pm

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”