CO scare

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Fri. Jan. 04, 2019 10:42 am

One of my dual smoke/co detectors was acting screwy about a week ago. Changed the batteries and all was good. Then another one started acting up. So I changed the batteries in all my detectors, figured it was time. Everything was good for a few days. One of my detectors was picking up CO earlier and sounding the alarm. Checked the stove, all seemed good. Reset the alarm and it sounded several more times. Figured it was a faulty alarm. Moved it to another room just to see. The alarm in the next bedroom over started sounding with a CO alarm. Ok....somethings up!!! I opened some windows and started to investigate. Checked the stove over real good, no issues there. Checked my oil burner. Well, the baro door was stuck open. It had some crude buildup on it. Cleaned it off but it was still binding when fully open. The baro was squeezed tight into the tee, had to do some bending and tweaking. All good now!

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Fri. Jan. 04, 2019 5:28 pm

Mine on the coal has done that when it's really windy out. and my CO detector would pick it up. At least they are doing their job!
can't be too over careful with them! i have 4 co detectors.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Jan. 04, 2019 6:58 pm

I had the baro on my oil boiler stick open when we first moved in the house. When a gust of wind would max out the baro, it would sometimes stick. I put a self tapping screw through the collar that slightly limits how wide the baro can open and it has been fine since.

bambooboy
Baseburners & Antiques: imperial ringgold
Other Heating: woodstock soapstone,comfort,fisher,federal,fairy oak

Post by bambooboy » Sun. Jan. 06, 2019 7:00 pm

also had the CO scare this week from the base burner.with this warm weather figured it was a draft issue.due to the warm weather have not been using magazine, just filling up to top of pot.today checked everything out.on top of stove is the magazine fill door which has a broken pin hinge on one side. never been a problem reseating door after filling.well my problem was a cocked door from last using the magazine last week. meant to fix over summer but never did.i'll shut down next warm spell & fix.have 3 detectors in the room&1 on night stand,2 of them let me know. be safe out there.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Jan. 06, 2019 9:40 pm

One of the problems with detectors is we dont trust them when they go off and I think it is wise to have at least 2 so we dont do that.

I had one go off years ago burning propane but its safety feature shut the stove off, which I was grateful for.

Many years ago I was shopping with a friend who had just bought a house. I grabbed a smoke detector and threw it in his cart and he left it there. That fall he called me and thanked me for doing that. he had lit his furnace and the chimney was partly plugged by birds. He told me after he started it he felt like taking a nap and then the detector went off. It saved his life. I am unsure why a smoke detector went off from CO but Im glad it did.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Mon. Jan. 07, 2019 10:01 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Fri. Jan. 04, 2019 6:58 pm
I had the baro on my oil boiler stick open when we first moved in the house. When a gust of wind would max out the baro, it would sometimes stick. I put a self tapping screw through the collar that slightly limits how wide the baro can open and it has been fine since.
I did exactly the same on my coal stove baro, for exactly the same reason. :!:

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”