2 vacs + 1 Dust Deputy

Kungur

Post by Kungur » Sat. Dec. 15, 2018 1:18 pm

Well the idea of using 2 vacs a "y" and 1 Dust Deputy doesn't work very well. Prior I had hooked up 1 new Rigid vac to the Dust Deputy and 1 Craftsman vac with a separate hose to the over hopper bin. It works very well but the vac without the Dust Deputy requires frequent filter cleaning. The Rigid with a filter bag and Dust Deputy filter is quite clean.
Tomorrow I will try the second,I bought 2 new Rigid's, 1 via the Dust Deputy and 1 without to see how it performs. I am trying to avoid buying a second Dust Deputy but may have. Bit the bullet.
The other part of the equation is I think the Craftsman is more powerful than the Rigid.

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Sat. Dec. 15, 2018 5:12 pm

Hello Kungur

Another thought would be to use 2 fifteen degree wyes together to connect the two vacuums behind the dust deputy with a very short piece of PVC between them and a threaded plug for a dry fit trail at the outlet of the dust deputy to create the pressure gradient(vacuum) you need to pull the coal through to the tank above the hopper.

One of the other members has done that with his system and I think it is on youtube.

Kungur

Post by Kungur » Sat. Dec. 15, 2018 6:01 pm

I must be having a brain fart! I have read this 3x but I cannot picture it. I will look at you tube again but I thought I watched all of the coal cac videos.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Dec. 16, 2018 11:03 am

Kungur wrote:
Sat. Dec. 15, 2018 1:18 pm
Well the idea of using 2 vacs a "y" and 1 Dust Deputy doesn't work very well. Prior I had hooked up 1 new Rigid vac to the Dust Deputy and 1 Craftsman vac with a separate hose to the over hopper bin. It works very well but the vac without the Dust Deputy requires frequent filter cleaning. The Rigid with a filter bag and Dust Deputy filter is quite clean.
Tomorrow I will try the second,I bought 2 new Rigid's, 1 via the Dust Deputy and 1 without to see how it performs. I am trying to avoid buying a second Dust Deputy but may have. Bit the bullet.
The other part of the equation is I think the Craftsman is more powerful than the Rigid.
Losses...minimize all losses, secondly...bottlenecks (they're losses too) minimize bottlenecks. A 1-1/2" Dust Deputy is one big bottleneck...SORRY! You can find from China a 3" cyclone vortex like DD.

Long sweep fittings...90's, wye's etc.
Avoid spirial non smooth hoses or pipes.

Keeping PVC same size up to collection box is usually fine, but from there I'd recommend bumping size up to be a lot less restricted...your focus at this point is getting most extra volumn..no longer do you need great velocity as was to keep the coal moving into box upstream.

Good Luck...HTH

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Mon. Dec. 31, 2018 10:18 am

Any updates Kungur?

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Mon. Dec. 31, 2018 10:44 am

McGiever wrote:
Sun. Dec. 16, 2018 11:03 am
A 1-1/2" Dust Deputy is one big bottleneck...SORRY! You can find from China a 3" cyclone vortex like DD.
What is the "ideal size" cyclone for buckwheat???

swyman

Post by swyman » Mon. Dec. 31, 2018 12:16 pm

CoalisCoolxWarm wrote:
Mon. Dec. 31, 2018 10:44 am
I am using the cyclone after the coal barrel just before the vacuum to remove the super fine dust particles so they don't go into the vac. I popped the lid last night I have have around 2" of black baby powder inside the cyclone bucket. I think what McGiever was referring to is the dust deputy's we have fit both 1 1/2" and 2" hose so the 1 1/2" would be a bottleneck. Maybe I should have ordered the larger cyclone and necked it down to a 2"? The cyclone I have is tapered on the outside to accept the larger hose so cutting the 1 1/2" part does nothing to the inside diameter, it's flat inside.

Kungur

Post by Kungur » Mon. Dec. 31, 2018 3:08 pm

I will be opening the vacs in the next few days. Today when I was running the vacs I have noticed the suction has fallen off. I will take the vacs outside to check them out and then report back.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Mon. Dec. 31, 2018 7:41 pm

CoalisCoolxWarm wrote:
Mon. Dec. 31, 2018 10:44 am

I assume you mean "ideal" as for minimum "losses" caused by having a "bottleneck"...

It is relative to vacuum capacity size more so than to any coal size...you're right, bigger coal needs bigger vac, though.
As I mentioned I have found a 250mm size Chinese sourced cyclone-vortex, that equates to 3"...the more common domestic Dust Deputy is, I believe, only 1-1/2"...and hence a "bottle-neck".

Control losses where ever you can control them...
Remember, keep the velocity up high (1-1/2' or 2" pipe) until coal drops out in/at hopper then "Open diameters up (3") after the coal dumps out as velocity doesn't count any longer...so... do keep them open at maximum flow volumes since that always counts very much as for what happens up-stream all the way to the pickup end...
Big diameter to minimize losses, after coal has dropped out, is a must for moving max. volume of air from there on into the cyclone-vortex and out the vacuum discharge....
This vac operation is far, far from "positive displacement"...losses are big and continually add up along the whole route or run...fix it where you can...

Worth repeating again...spiral hose is a performance eater!...smooth is smooth. :P

swyman

Post by swyman » Tue. Jan. 01, 2019 6:43 am

McGiever wrote:
Mon. Dec. 31, 2018 7:41 pm

Worth repeating again...spiral hose is a performance eater!...smooth is smooth. :P
I have watched several videos on youtube and the ones that seem to work the best have 2" pvc from bin to barrel. I really want/wanted to be able to run a hand wand so I need a flex joint. One thing I recently did was remove the 1 1/2" end of my pickup tube and just running straight 2 1/2" shop vac hose that is 4' long straight vertical to the 90* sweeping fitting. I was thinking about changing that 90 to a 45 but will see after I get a new vac. I am going to stop all the him-hawing around and call Shop-Vac tomorrow and see if I can talk to an expert and get his/her recommendation on lift vs flow for this application. I do want to see if I can get a larger dust cyclone as you a right about that bottle neck and it would be better to upsize to 3" for my barrel to vac leg.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Tue. Jan. 01, 2019 12:51 pm

PVC pool and/or pond hose is smooth inside and yet flexible to a hand wand...

Kungur

Post by Kungur » Thu. Jan. 17, 2019 5:33 pm

So a little update. The past few days I noticed the suction was starting to decrease so today I took both vacs outside to check and clean the filters. The vac attached to the Dust Deputy hardly needed attention. The Dust Deputy bucket had about 3" of coal dust which I emptied. The vac without the Dust Deputy I brushed off the filter not too much there and decided to change out the filter bag . This had about half as much as last time I changed it. Started it up and it performed great!
So last time I did maintenance on the vacs was 15 days ago. So this filter bag last 2 weeks. But not sure if the drop off in suction was affected by the Dust Deputy bucket starting to fill.

Odyknuck
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Circulator #1500 W/ blower modification
Coal Size/Type: Nut Coal
Other Heating: House - Propane Forced air furnace. Garage - Hydronic in the concrete floor with Pellet stove supplement.

Post by Odyknuck » Thu. Jan. 17, 2019 10:23 pm

Not for coal however, I recently bought a dust separator ($39.95) from Home depot that uses the typical 2 1/2" shop vac hoses and fittings. It works quite well and simply snaps onto a plastic 5 gal pal.

Kungur

Post by Kungur » Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 8:14 am

I have seen that advertised. But I think for $10 more I would just buy another Dust Deputy. That way both systems are the same.

Odyknuck
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Circulator #1500 W/ blower modification
Coal Size/Type: Nut Coal
Other Heating: House - Propane Forced air furnace. Garage - Hydronic in the concrete floor with Pellet stove supplement.

Post by Odyknuck » Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 11:00 am

The nice think about the Home Depot unit is the 2 1/2" fittings (increased flow) , low profile (4") and it simply snaps onto a bucket. For 40 bucks its Ideal. I plan on making a carrier to store it on top of the shop vac so it is part of the package and gets rolled around with the Vac.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”