Coal vac build 101

Qtown1835
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker '81 KA4 (online 1/16/17)
Coal Size/Type: WAS Lehigh Rice (TBD)
Other Heating: EFM SPK600

Post by Qtown1835 » Thu. Mar. 07, 2019 7:05 pm

Nice. Where did you get your container?

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Thu. Mar. 07, 2019 7:15 pm

Qtown1835 wrote:
Thu. Mar. 07, 2019 7:05 pm
Nice. Where did you get your container?
Amazon

swyman

Post by swyman » Thu. Nov. 07, 2019 8:18 am

Here is a video I did this morning of complete operation

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Thu. Nov. 07, 2019 3:01 pm

:yes: :yes: :yes:

Nice job on the video and great set up for coal moving!!

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Thu. Nov. 07, 2019 4:11 pm

swyman wrote:
Thu. Nov. 07, 2019 8:18 am
Here is a video I did this morning of complete operation (snip)
You are officially my HERO! LOL.

I am going to build a new one. Only did some testing with mixed results previously.

Really nice job :yes:

CoalisCoolxWarm

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Sun. Dec. 15, 2019 8:34 am

So buck works fine with 2" pvc?

Is your whole system 2" or ?? I'm going to order whatever I need to copy this. I have a dust deputy on order

Toddburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983/ Hitzer 55
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite/pea
Other Heating: Heat pump/forced air

Post by Toddburn » Sun. Dec. 15, 2019 9:01 am

Swyman...A #1 set up!

swyman

Post by swyman » Mon. Dec. 16, 2019 12:06 am

CoalisCoolxWarm wrote:
Sun. Dec. 15, 2019 8:34 am
So buck works fine with 2" pvc?

Is your whole system 2" or ?? I'm going to order whatever I need to copy this. I have a dust deputy on order
The flex is 1 1/2" and goes into 2" at the top where it connects. The whole rest of the system is 2" and my thought process was where the 1 1\2" expands into the 2", it would seem like it would help from plugging up because the I.D. gets larger? And as far as the rest of the system being 2", my thought process is that with the extra inside volume of the larger pipe, would act as an accumulator for more vacuum? I could be totally wrong on this but I am extremely happy with filling a 30 gallon drum in 4 minutes with a single vac. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on vacuum systems will chime in and see if we are going in the right direction? The dust deputy really picks up a lot of fines and dust, very happy with it.

CoalisCoolxWarm

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Mon. Dec. 16, 2019 7:50 am

swyman wrote:
Mon. Dec. 16, 2019 12:06 am
The flex is 1 1/2" and goes into 2" at the top where it connects. The whole rest of the system is 2" and my thought process was where the 1 1\2" expands into the 2", it would seem like it would help from plugging up because the I.D. gets larger? And as far as the rest of the system being 2", my thought process is that with the extra inside volume of the larger pipe, would act as an accumulator for more vacuum? I could be totally wrong on this but I am extremely happy with filling a 30 gallon drum in 4 minutes with a single vac. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on vacuum systems will chime in and see if we are going in the right direction? The dust deputy really picks up a lot of fines and dust, very happy with it.
Thanks for the reply.

I was impatient over the weekend and ordered 2" flex, lol. $60 delivered from Amazon for 2 inch 25 ft sch 40 pvc flex pipe. The price jumps over $100 for 3 inch.

I thought you had 2" flex attached to 3" solid.

I'm going in for another surgery and more chemo shortly. Want to get this done so the girls don't have to shovel and carry buckets from outside and lift into the larger and higher hopper on my KA6.

I've had the past 2 weeks 'off' from daily chemo and radiation. Seems impossible to squeeze everything in ;)

I picked up 2 barrels. I figure the shorter one would fit above my hopper and hopefully have enough clearance from the floor joists above. The larger will either be my dust collector, or a trash can, LOL.

The tiny, barely 5ft girl is for scale of the barrels. The smaller one was $10, the larger $15. He also had 55 gal, which I did not get. I didn't measure, but could if anyone is curious.
barrels2.jpg
.JPG | 259.2KB | barrels2.jpg
barrels.jpg
.JPG | 270.9KB | barrels.jpg
My earlier test version had LOTS of leaks and I tried a stationary stand pipe in the bin. It constantly clogged and needed shaken. I may try upping it to 3" solid if I have troubles. But I'll try it this way with all 2 inch first. I did buy a small oscillator some time ago that I might fasten to the pipe.

I think having control over how much is fed is the key. Just like normal shop vacuuming, don't jam it in there and clog it up ;)

Guess we'll find out soon enough...

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Mon. Dec. 16, 2019 9:18 am

I would love to do this but with the ashes.. say you could Guarantee they were not hot.. guess you would need say 4” pvc?

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Dec. 16, 2019 10:08 am

hotblast1357 wrote:
Mon. Dec. 16, 2019 9:18 am
I would love to do this but with the ashes.. say you could Guarantee they were not hot.. guess you would need say 4” pvc?
With our occasional chewed up klinker it might be a better job for an auger. ;)
Have you seen where another member here posted his flex auger ash removal on a AA?

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Mon. Dec. 16, 2019 10:29 am

I remember the flex auger set up too, it was pretty good. Somebody also had a trough in the concrete under their boiler (outbuilding install) with an auger in it pulling the ash out. It was pretty efficient. :yes:

Do i remember correctly that somebody had a leaf blower setup that would blow the ash out from their basement into their back yard...mostly into a pile to be dealt with in the spring? :?:

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Mon. Dec. 16, 2019 10:37 am

Oh yes I’ve seen and looked into the augers, but at a cost lol shop vac system would be rather cheap, I have a tractor with front end loader to deal with bulk amounts, I strangely enough haven’t seen big clinkers out of mine..

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Dec. 16, 2019 10:15 pm

Cheap is only good if it worked...4" pipe size and shop vac must not be used in the same sentence. I thought you already found that out... ;)
Then you'd need a baghouse to keep the filters clean of fly ash build up cause otherwise a dust deputy would have to be super-sized.

swyman

Post by swyman » Mon. Dec. 16, 2019 11:31 pm

CoalisCoolxWarm wrote:
Mon. Dec. 16, 2019 7:50 am
Thanks for the reply.

I was impatient over the weekend and ordered 2" flex, lol. $60 delivered from Amazon for 2 inch 25 ft sch 40 pvc flex pipe. The price jumps over $100 for 3 inch.

I thought you had 2" flex attached to 3" solid.

I'm going in for another surgery and more chemo shortly. Want to get this done so the girls don't have to shovel and carry buckets from outside and lift into the larger and higher hopper on my KA6.

I've had the past 2 weeks 'off' from daily chemo and radiation. Seems impossible to squeeze everything in ;)

I picked up 2 barrels. I figure the shorter one would fit above my hopper and hopefully have enough clearance from the floor joists above. The larger will either be my dust collector, or a trash can, LOL.

The tiny, barely 5ft girl is for scale of the barrels. The smaller one was $10, the larger $15. He also had 55 gal, which I did not get. I didn't measure, but could if anyone is curious.

barrels2.jpg

barrels.jpg

My earlier test version had LOTS of leaks and I tried a stationary stand pipe in the bin. It constantly clogged and needed shaken. I may try upping it to 3" solid if I have troubles. But I'll try it this way with all 2 inch first. I did buy a small oscillator some time ago that I might fasten to the pipe.

I think having control over how much is fed is the key. Just like normal shop vacuuming, don't jam it in there and clog it up ;)

Guess we'll find out soon enough...
You will love this setup, it works very well and another plus is if I leave for a couple days I can without losing a fire. With the added capacity of the barrel above the hopper I can go a couple days without a fill up if I need to and my ash pan is every 2-3 days. Will make it very easy for your girls, takes the work out of it other than carrying out the ashes. Hope your surgery goes well treatments work fast! Oh, I and have found out that leaks in the system really have a huge impact on performance so try to get them addressed. Mine is still not perfect but I can't think of any other valves to try and this will be my last season anyway as I will be installing a AA-260 this summer.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”