Corn vac archives

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Tue. Nov. 27, 2018 5:34 pm

I did not want to hijack anyone's vac thread so I found some pics I took when I had that CORN boiler. Here is kind of an overview of what I had. I made the cone and welded it to the drum and hung it above the 14 bushel hopper with a RV waste gate.
IMG_1368.JPG
.JPG | 230.3KB | IMG_1368.JPG
This is the bin I would fill from the gravity wagon then bring inside and vacuum transferred from there. You can see I added a valve on the handle to let air in as I experienced the same issue of sucking up too much and it would stall. I never thought about running a tube inside like some of you did but this worked perfect.
IMG_1367.JPG
.JPG | 372.3KB | IMG_1367.JPG
This shows how I hooked up the vac. I ended up adding a second and like you all, made it work even better
IMG_1365.JPG
.JPG | 354.7KB | IMG_1365.JPG
This is where I made the magic happen. It's hard to tell but the very top is the peak in my garage. On the down side you will see a Wye, I put a screen inside over that wye so the path stayed smooth on the down leg with the vac attached to the branch of the wye. My thought process was once there was a vacuum inside the system it would cancel out and the corn would just fall into the barrel and the corn had to go over the screen and would pick up all the fines as they passed. Right or wrong it worked very well.
IMG_1364.JPG
.JPG | 245.1KB | IMG_1364.JPG
IMG_1369.JPG
.JPG | 135.8KB | IMG_1369.JPG
And this was me after doing a very thorough clean up on that corn boiler! I stay almost spotless doing my coal boiler. That thing had vertical heat tubes that you had to access from inside and it was dirty!
IMG_1362.JPG
.JPG | 293.4KB | IMG_1362.JPG

swyman

Post by swyman » Tue. Nov. 27, 2018 5:39 pm

It's interesting to see these pics again....and to think that little boiler did it's job in the worst possible setup. That garage was not insulated so that boiler was exposed to pure cold. I am not saying I know a lot now but I had no clue about heating with water then. I did everything wrong....for a long time!

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Tue. Nov. 27, 2018 9:13 pm

Thanks for sharing.
Rice and buck should prove little. if any. challenge.

swyman

Post by swyman » Wed. Nov. 28, 2018 7:11 am

McGiever wrote:
Tue. Nov. 27, 2018 9:13 pm
Thanks for sharing.
Rice and buck should prove little. if any. challenge.
One thing that is not in the pictures that I added was static prevention. It was really bad with the corn in the cold, dry climate. I installed a ground rod and wrapped copper wire around the pvc all the way to the drum with screws going through the pvc every couple feet. It really helped a lot so not sure how the coal will react?

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”